Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Have 10.5.2 and Rumpus ftp server, but I cant start it becouse it says that I allready have a FTP server running, when I look its not so.

What to do??

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Have 10.5.2 and Rumpus ftp server, but I cant start it becouse it says that I allready have a FTP server running, when I look its not so.

What to do??

Given all the info you've given us to go on, my reaction is to believe the error message and assume you do have the standard Apple ftpd running. How do you know it is not?

What happens when you try to telnet into the FTP port on Local host?

Woien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I am sorry, but yes its the built in FTP that is running.
Problem is how do I shut it down, becouse its turned of in server admin under services.
Is there any "hard" turn of or how should i do?

pezza

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Take a look in activity monitor, is the ftp service showing under the list of processes? I so run the kill command on this process from terminal.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I am sorry, but yes its the built in FTP that is running.
Problem is how do I shut it down, becouse its turned of in server admin under services.
Is there any "hard" turn of or how should i do?

Change the name of the executable file from "ftpd" to maybe
"ftpd-DO.NOT.RUN".
Crude but likely effective. If this were Linux or Solaris I'd know more about the boot up process and how things get started. But the re-name the binary trick is fool proof on any system

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.