Can't Switch Back To OS X, No Startup Disk Icon In XP!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by johntech, Feb 2, 2007.

1. johntech macrumors newbie

I'm sorry if this issue has already been posted... I searched but couldn't find any previous discussion...

I have been running XP for awhile and now want to switch to OSX... I tried shutting down XP and restarting the computer with the option key held down... it did nothing and XP started up.

I tried to go to Start->Control Panel->Startup Disk (under performance) as mentioned in the instructions but I don't see a "Startup Disk" icon in my system.

How can I boot into OSX?

Thank you for any help!

-John

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You followed the steps correctly. How long have you been running XP? If you just installed it, might it be possible that you accidentally deleted OS X in the process?

3. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

yeah, did you just install it, have you used osx with it n your computer? You might have gone over osx. Go to my computer and see how muh harddrive space you haveavailabe, and compare it with the size of your drive. (Or does it not read all and only what was partitioned to it even idf it goes over osx?) I might be wrong...

4. johntech thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've been running XP only for about 6 months -- ever since I installed Bootcamp. I remember setting the "which OS to startup" in OSX and I selected Windows XP, booted XP successfully, and then have only used XP (for my work) since. But now I would like to use OSX a bit and can't seem to switch back.

5. johntech thread starter macrumors newbie

The drive stats read 116GB C: drive, 81.4GB free.

6. Kodex macrumors member

Holding down the "X" key at boot will attempt to force the system to boot from OS X. Give that a try if you are unable to access startup manager

7. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

how big is your hardrive? and how much did you set to partition to it?

8. johntech thread starter macrumors newbie

Holding down the "x" key didn't work either... I shut the system down and rebooted and heard the Mac startup sound (or whatever you call that "dunnnnnn" sound) but then it booted into Windows.

I believe my HD is 250GB and that I partitioned it 125/125

Thanks, everyone.

9. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

stick in the cd, the install disk and boot of that (holding c) than go into diskutility andsee if it sees osx, and if it doesnt, than you have a problem

10. johntech thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll have to get the CD from my office next week. I'll try it then.

Thanks for the help!!!!! :)

11. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

12. brothernc macrumors newbie

Same Problem

I know i am a little late on this but what do you have to in order to fix writing windows over mac osx because i reading the other post and from the looks of it i know i did and i would love to get it back to running mac osx

PLEASE REPLY
    Thank you