1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Can't Switch to full version of site.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by The Californian, Mar 5, 2012.

1. macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I used to have trouble switching from the Mobile version of the site to the full version and would have to click the link a few times before it would switch over, but as of today I've clicked it approximately 25 times to no avail.

I'm currently on an iPhone 4S running 5.0.1 (9A406).

2. macrumors 65816

Macdude2010

Mine is the same way so you are not alone, doesn't work on my Asus Transformer and my iPhone 3GS, Works on my iPad and iPhone 4S though.

3. macrumors demi-god

SandboxGeneral

In Settings under Safari, have you tried either 'Clear History' or Clear Cookies and Data'?

What I do is keep a browser tab open on the mobile site and another one open with the full site. so that each is open and I can browse whichever way I need without having to switch one tab over.

4. macrumors demi-god

siurpeeman

what i do is start with forum spy (spy.macrumors.com). every thread link i tap thankfully launches in the full site and not the mobile.

5. macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yah, I've cleared out the history, cookies and cache multiple times. No dice.

6. macrumors demi-god

SandboxGeneral

Hmmm... What I also do is have bookmarks to the mobile site and full site. That way if I close out one of the pages, I can click the bookmark to the one I want. Ise the bookmarks in Safari on the Mac and they sync to the iPhone.

7. macrumors 68040

The Californian

I'll try that, the only bummer is that I wish it would just work the way it's supposed to.

8. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Use Atomic Web, it's a much better browser.

9. macrumors 68020

macingman

+1. I have had the same problem and the only way I could get it to work was use Atomic Web. It has all the features I want Safari to have plus more.

10. macrumors newbie

Having this problem on a MacBook running 10.7.3 Lion and the latest Google Chrome. Any ideas how to fix it?

11. macrumors demi-god

SandboxGeneral

Have you tried clearing your browser cache and/or resetting your browser settings?

12. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I've cleared everything as far as cookies and data and I'm still trapped in the mobile site on my 4S.

I strongly dislike the mobile site, but it won't let me switch to the full site. Very annoying.

13. macrumors 6502a

I have this problem, iPhone 4. I have cleared history, cache and cookies which didn't help but this does not surprise me as I have tried several different browsers, same thing.
    It's really frustrating because I don't like the mobile version.

14. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hey guys. I may have tracked down the problem. Please try again.

arn

15. macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Thank you! This has been bugging me for days, but all seems well now.

16. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

This... go under settings and "Identify Browser As" desktop Safari

17. macrumors 6502a

Yay, great work arn!

18. macrumors 68040

The Californian

Working perfectly, thanks arn.

19. macrumors Core

MacNut

If I am logged in on my iPhone and close the window it always reverts back to the wap version. Anyway to change this. I hate having to always start on the mobile site.

20. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

in theory, it should be setting a cookie that lasts.

looks like I broke something last night.

try now and see if it remembers.

arn

21. macrumors Core

MacNut

Nope, it reverts back to the mobile version.

22. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

So, just to be clear, we're talking about:

http://www.macrumors.com (Front Page)

using Mobile Safari on an iPhone

And when you tap on the go to Full Version link at the very bottom of the page, it brings you to the Full version. And once you are there, if you close the tab, and go to "http://www.macrumors.com" it brings you back to the mobile version?

arn

23. macrumors Core

MacNut

It starts as macrumors.com/wap I go to the main site macrumors.com log in, close the window, reopen and it goes back the the mobile version.

24. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

25. macrumors Core

MacNut

That is what I hit by default. When I revert back to the main site it doesn't stick.