Can't Sync Movies from iTunes to iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by downingp, Jan 6, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jun 26, 2006
    I have several movies I have ripped using handbrake in iTunes and have had no problems watching the movies on an AppleTV I used to have. However, now I want to transfer some movies to an iPod Touch and I get an error message saying its not in the right format. When I look at the file description, all the movies are in M-PEG 4 format with the H.264 video codec. The file extension on all of my movies shows .m4v which I thought was the problem so I changed the extension of one of them to .mp4 and that didn't work either.

Any suggestions or helpful advice?

2. macrumors 68040

Oct 9, 2008
    There's two different presets in Handbrake for iPhone/iPod touch and the AppleTV. They result in the same file format, but have data bitrates. On version 0.9.4, the iPhone/iPod touch bitrate is 960, the AppleTV is 2500; this will result in drastically different file sizes and may be a contributing factor to why you're unable to sync these files over. Generally files that are compatible with an iPhone/iPod touch are compatible with the AppleTV, the reverse is not always true.
  3. macrumors newbie

Aug 12, 2009
    Instead of using Handbrake use iSquint which you can get for free here. I use it religiously and I've never had a problem getting the files to transfer to my iPod Touch at all.
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 26, 2006
    I ended up reencoding a movie using the iphone/ipod touch presets within Handbrake and was able to sync with my ipod.