Can't transfer data from old iPhone 4 to iPhone 5 through MacBook

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by egoluboff, Jan 18, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I have an old iPhone 4 that I sync to my mac book pro for itunes and everything else. I bought an iphone 5 and when I plug it into the mac book to sync and get the old data a message says that my new iphone doesn't have itunes 10.7 on it and can't get the data. How do I get itunes 10.7 on the new iphone 5 if it isn't set up yet? If I set it up as a new phone, how do I get the old data from the iphone 4 onto it? Thanks

2. macrumors 6502

It's not your iPhone that needs iTunes 10.7 it's your MacBook.

3. macrumors 68040

You need a minimum of Mac OS X 10.6 to support iTunes 10.7 and later. If you are running Mac OS 10.4 or 10.5 you need to upgrade by means of a 10.6 install disc. Once it's been installed, run updates to get to 10.6.8 and the latest version of iTunes. After that you can backup the iPhone 4 and restore the iTunes backup to the 5. If, for some reason, you don't want to upgrade the software on your computer you can also backup the 4 to iCloud, then restore the 5 from an iCloud backup.

4. macrumors G5

jav6454

Use iCloud if iTunes is poring to be a pain.