Can't turn FileVault off?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lz0, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Lz0 macrumors regular

I've been trying to turn FileVault off but keep getting an error saying "can't copy files".

I've run the space saver @ restart thing and repaired all permissions.

Any ideas?

2. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

FileVault takes quite a while to encrypt and decrypt your Home folder.
    It's really a bad idea to stop it once you have it going in either direction.

This can take half a day or longer depending on how much data you have stored.

Before you end up with a serious data loss issue, I would burn everything important to CD or a back-up drive.

Don't forget your Address Book, Bookmarks, and all your Home folder items.

If FileVault fails to decrypt your system after you've saved everything, you may end up needing to run a clean install so make sure your data is
    backed up off your computer.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

FileVault needs quite a lot of free HD space when you want to turn it off. Basically you need just as much free space as your home folder uses (and add some). So make sure you've got lots of space before turning it off.

4. carpe diem macrumors 6502

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Okay, I recently had a pretty big problem with Filevault, and I don't know if this will help you, but scroll down to the bottom of this thread to see how I fixed my problem:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=149282

Basically, I logged in as another user and loaded the Filevault .sparseimage as a disk in Disk Utility and repaired it. That fixed all the problems I was having.

6. Lz0 thread starter macrumors regular

Worked around

I ended up copying everything to another drive, deleting the account, creating a new account with the same details and then copying all my stuff back.