Can't turn on Appletalk in classic mode

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Cottonnut, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Cottonnut macrumors newbie

I mistakenly posted this is the "Hardware section". Hopefully someone here can help...

I need Appletalk active to print. Apple support was unable to help me after 6 hours. I'm hoping someone here can...

I want to get my Epson Color 3000 to work in the classic mode. (I'm on a G4, using Panther). I can't print because it says "Appletalk is inactive". Neither can I load the Stylus RIP for postscript printing because of the Appletalk issue.

When I try to turn Appletalk on in the chooser it says, "please make sure you are connected to an Appletalk network". Then it says "Appletalk cannot be opened. And a little yellow note pops up saying "To turn on Appletalk, open Network prefs and click appletalk".

I did this numerous times through Apple support (turning it on in OS X in the Network prefs, then checking that it was indeed on in "Directory Access", which it was, but classic never recognized that it was turned on.) I fear that I can't print in classic mode unless I get the thing turned on.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/help.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

So I gather you've checked Directory Access already? Have you tried trashing the Classic AppleTalk preferences file? It will be located in one of two places: /System Folder/Preferences/ (if you don't have the use Mac OS 9 preferences from my home option checked) or ~/Library/Classic/Preferences/ (if that option is enabled), where the initial / in the first path represents the root of your hard drive, and ~ represents your home directory.

3. Cottonnut thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, but where do I look to see if "use os 9 prefs" is enabled?
    Thanks.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Select the Advanced tab in the Classic preferences pane.

5. Cottonnut thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried trashing the appletalk pref. But I still have the same problem...

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Make sure Appletalk is turned on in your OSX Network control panel. The OS9 Appletalk control panel doesn't even work in Classic. You shouldn't be able to turn it on or off in Classic.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My copy of Classic doesn't even HAVE an option to configure AppleTalk - the only configuration seems to be in Mac OS X.

8. Cottonnut thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry if I am confusing people.

Yes, we tried to turn it on in OS X (System preferences/network) under the appletalk tab "make active".

Then I checked "Directory Access", where the box for Appletalk was checked.

So, supposedly it's on.

In Classic, I didn't try to turn it on via an Appletalk control panel, becasue there isn't one in Classic.

Instead I went to chooser, where it said Appletalk was inactive. When I tried to turn it on is when I got all the messages.

Frankly, I don't care about the Appletalk, as much as I do trying to figure out how to print in Classic. Is this maybe a problem with 10.3.3? Should I try 10.3.4?

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If your Classic like mine was once an OS9 boot, it will have the Appletalk control panel, but trying to launch it will generate a message that it's not supported in Classic.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm beginning to think your problem isn't with AppleTalk, it's either with the printer or the wires. Can you test it in some other environment? Is it recognized at all in OSX? I don't have any problems printing on an old AppleTalk printer in either OSX or Classic.

11. Cottonnut thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, the printer works in the OS X environment on the same computer...

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So, let me see if I understand this problem. This printer does show up in the Chooser (driver is installed), but Appletalk is indicated as being turned off in the Chooser?

13. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Fix?

My buddy was having this problem and we fixed it by discovering he had Appletalk enabled for his Ethernet card, but not for his Airport card.

Try this:

1) Go to "System Preferences : Network"

2) Select each network card that you have from the "Show" menu individually and enable Appletalk for each one

3) Restart Classic and try again

14. dillonford macrumors newbie

HELP!!! OS 10.3.2 and Appletalk Problems

I just purchased OS 10.3.2 and installed it on my iMac SE Graphite (slot-loading). I now regret the decision to upgrade, as everything has gone wrong ever since.

Initially I used 9.1 in "classic" mode, then upgraded to 9.2.1 (after a seven-hour download!), but I'm experiencing the identical problems that Cottonnut mentioned in his posts in June: No matter what I do, I just can't turn Appletalk on to print in "classic" mode. I've tried all the tricks, and after hours of frustration and two days of full-time troubleshooting, I'm still nowhere.

I have lots of Word 98 documents and Outlook Express correspondence to print, but can't get my HP LaserJet 2100 M to put out because Appletalk can't be activated. My printer work fine in OS X, so it's definitely a software issue.

Has anyone found a solution to this bedeviling problem?

I've also discovered that FreeMIDI no longer works, so MOTU Performer is also discombobulated and won't play my music. I was forced to reinstall both Finale 2004 and Performer, and only managed to get Finale to work today after hours of reconfiguring and troubleshooting.

I used to swear by my Mac. Now I just swear at it! "Panther" is a savage beast!

Help!

Joe :mad: