Can't unmount disks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bristol410, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Bristol410 macrumors newbie

I have a bit of a problem with my PowerBook. I can't unmount or eject any disks, or disk images, using the Finder. None of the Eject icon in Finder window sidebars, Command-E, the keyboard Eject key, nor dragging to Trash have eny effect (although dragging to Trash does turn the Trash icon into the Eject icon). I can unmount or eject using Disk Utility, and apps that automatically eject disks (eg Toast after burning a new disk, or Photo Mechanic after importing photos from a camera's memory card) still eject or unmount disks as they are supposed to.

I am not aware of anything specific that I may have done to cause this. I have repaired permissions to no avail. It was initially evident in 10.4.5, but the upgrade to 10.4.6 has not fixed it. Can anyone give me a clue what I can try next?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You might download the 10.4.6 combo updater and install that again to see if it fixes the issue.

3. Bristol410 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I've tried that and still no joy. I can't really see why it should be just the Finder that has the problem. Is there a way to reset or reinstall just that?

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Are you able to eject from Disk Utility or Terminal?

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try dragging a file named com.apple.finder.plist to the Desktop. This should have the resetting effect for Finder that you're after but it may not necessarily solve your problem. Are you running any third party system hacks or GUI changers? :)

6. Bristol410 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's fixed it - fantastic, thanks! :)

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew