Can't update a FAT32 5G iPod on a Macbook... :(

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mustgroove, Sep 13, 2006.

1. mustgroove macrumors regular

Aug 14, 2006
    Just tried to hook up my 5G iPod to iTunes 7 to update to the new firmware, and the ****ing thing won't let me do it because it's Windows-formatted...

Is there any way around this? Coz honestly it'd be nice to use my Apple MP3 player with my Apple computer... seeeeeeeriously stupid if you ask me, it's like it's a small punishment for buying the ipod before the computer...

It's not as if Windows-formatted iPods are NTFS, in that case there might be a technical explanation for it, but bastardising Mac support for Windows-formatted iPods is just stupid...
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    You can't. To update a Windows formatted iPod, you need a Windows computer (it is possible through Boot Camp/Parallels though). To update a Mac formatted iPod you need a Mac.
  3. mustgroove thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 14, 2006
    What possible reason is there for that though? Windows can't read HFS+ partitions, so limiting Windows to Windows-formatted ipods makes sense...

But Mac should be able to do both... seriously...
  4. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    I don't know the reason. Perhaps there's some Windows-specific bits in the firmware that require a Windows machine? Who knows?

Send Apple some feedback and while you're doing that, hunt down someone with a PC - that's what I do with my 3G.
  5. DCBass macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I know what you mean...

I was also seriously disappointed last night when I found out I couldn't update my pc ipod with my imac. i wasn't too surprised though, as i was half expecting that anyway.

still, i'd like to keep my ipod windows formatted so i can easily move files back and forth from work. no, i don't feel like setting up boot camp just for this, nor do i wish to purchase parallels at this point.

i guess i'm off to a friend's place or the apple store. very inconvenient indeed.

6. Elrond39 macrumors 6502

Aug 16, 2005
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    I'm in the same boat. I like to use my iPod for carrying stuff around, and that is just easier when it's FAT32 formatted. I suppose that, if you're not as intent on this particular feature, you could always Restore in the iPod section of iTunes, and then afterwards Update to the newest Mac firmware, yes?