Cant update mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dombe, Apr 3, 2007.

1. dombe macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2007
    Hi, hope you are all well.

Had my G5 for nearly a year now, bought it second hand from a friend. Fallen in love with the thing, the whole mac thing actually. Slick crisp flawless design....well almost.

The problem is my mac has crashed a couple of times just frozen, i am now unable to save in Microsoft word, i just get the spinning ball of death. I can not update my mac either, i just get the blue progress bar moving across a little than than updater just shuts down.:confused:

My mac spec is:

Dual 2gb power pc G5
    10.4.8 software
    5.1.8f7 firmware

well thats it really.

Any help as to the updating issue etc would be very much appreciated. I have always kept the mac updated via its auto-updater, been having this problem for last 2 weeks i guess. :mad:

Anyway thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to possibly help.

Regards Dominic
  2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Never heard of the updater not working... there are a couple of things you can do that often fix things.

- Sometimes a simple logout or restart can fix problems like this.

- Repair permissions
    (open disk utility, select your drive, and hit repair permissions)

- Reset the PRAM
    (restart your mac and hold option+apple+p+r until you hear the chime... I think 3 times)

If none of those work, you could always go for the gusto and reinstall OSX, although that's usually not necessary. I hope you got all the original disks from your friend. You can't reinstall OSX without them.

Cheers :)
  3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    Thank you. That was sweet. Come back if the advice above doesn't help. Best wishes.
  4. dombe thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks so so much for the speedy reply very impressed, very impressed indeed and much appreciated.

Your second idea worked options button + apple etc etc.

Thanks loads.

Oh while i was searching for the answer you so kindly gave i stunmbled across (and i cant flipping find it now) an article regarding the new os x update 10.4.9. The article basically said it had bugs. Didnt read the whole thing just wondered what your thoughts on the subject where?

Thanks again

5. dombe thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2007
    Spoke to soon. :mad:

Attempted to update the mac which was all going fine.....Itunes update and then went on to update software 10.4.9 which appeared to be going well then it hung on the last bit for 40 minutes so turned the computer off and restarted it.

The wallpaper appears and the mouse pointer appears and nothing else appears on the

Thanks in advance.