Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Red_Tiger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
UK
Dear All,

I hope everyone is having a good start to 2016!

I have just been updating my parents online security with the two-step verification from Google.

The problem I am having is that Mail 9.2 with El Capitan is not letting me update the passwords to allow for two-step verification.

There has been no message pop-up asking for re-input of passwords (which has often annoyingly happened in the past). When I navigate to Mail>Preferences>Accounts I cannot find anywhere to re-enter updated passwords and incoming mail server etc is greyed out.

Mail knows that it cannot access the accounts, they both have the inactive symbol adjacent to them and “Login Failed” visible top right just under the search bar.

A solution I did think of was to delete said accounts then re-enter them with updated passwords. I didn’t want to loose any potential emails, although technically these would be stored on Google’s serves and then re-downloaded. I presume this method would not delete any filed emails which have been moved to "On My Mac" as these are stored on the Mac itself.

Any advice is welcome, thank you for listening! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.