Can't use Apple Mail in iPhoto!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hikeNM, Jan 22, 2005.

1. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

A couple of months ago I noticed in iPhoto '04 my email application preference had changed to Entourage, which I never use. So I go to preferences to change it back to Apple Mail, which is all I use, and it will only let me choose Entourage. Everything else is grayed out.

Not to worry, I think. I was fairly sure a new iPhoto was coming. I just received my copy of iPhoto '05. And lo and behold, when I install it, Entourage is already selected as default mail app., and when I go to preferences, everything is grayed out except Entourage!!

Has anybody ever heard of this? Any ideas on what to do? I use email pics from iPhoto alot and this is kinda annoying.

P.S. iPhoto '05 is much faster than the older version!!!

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I'm assuming something has got slightly messed up on your computer because I can select Apple Mail on my iPhoto (still version 4). I'd imagine that that part of iPhoto has been unchanged in iPhoto 5, hence you're still having the same problem.

It sounds as if iPhoto can't find Mail on your system, although it's obviously there, otherwise you wouldn't be able to open it. You haven't moved it have you? Otherwise, I'd suggest trashing the iPhoto preference file (and Mail one if you still have problems).

Nice to know that iPhoto 5 is faster again. I'm excited but I've still got about a week to wait before my iLife '05 ships.

3. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. I've never had to trash preferences before. Do I just drag them to the trash? When I open the application does it create a new preference?

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Yes, just drag to the trash. The preference file is called "com.apple.iPhoto.plist" and should be located in the User/Library/Preferences folder. (Just type iPhoto in the Finder search field to find it). You may want to copy it somewhere else (e.g. the desktop) instead of deleting it, in case deleting doesn't make any difference (so you could move it back without losing your prefs).

iPhoto will create a new file with the default settings when you restart the application. It may be a good idea to repair disk permissions with disk utility too.

5. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a