Can't Use The Internet When Connected To School's VPN

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by RexTheMacFan, Feb 4, 2004.

1. RexTheMacFan macrumors newbie

Hi, I use a VPN connection to my school to access on their file server. The VPN connection works fine, but I have some other problems. When I am connected to the VPN I am unable to do things like browse the internet, get e-mail, etc. I have tried switching the Network Port order around in System Preferences, but it does not change anything. When I go to the Network settings in System Preferences in the status it says that I am connected to the Internet by the VPN. In XP I can go into the network properties and uncheck the box that says "Use The Default Gateway" and the Internet works fine then. Also, another problem, I am unable to authenticate with the file server on my Mac, but I can on my XP box. Also, I have to enter the IP address of the file server, to even get the log-in box to come up. If I enter the name I get error code 36 "Some data could not be read or written. The file server is running 2000 Advanced Server I believe. Thanks in advance for your help on both of these issues. RexTheMacFan

Edit: I forgot to tell you I am running Mac OS X 10.3.2 with all of the updates installed on an iBook 900mhz connected to the Internet through an Airport card and D-Link router.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Re: Can't Use The Internet When Connected To School's VPN

Write down the settings of the WinXP machine. Set-up you Mac the same way.

3. RexTheMacFan thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried that, but I can't find a place to put them all in System Preferences and Internet Connect.

4. dbally macrumors member

Are you using OS X's built in VPN client or one like Cisco's? I found thats OS X's doesn't offer the same options necessary (at least for my school) as Cisco's to connect to their network.

5. RexTheMacFan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using OS X's built in client. The protocol that I am using is PPTP and the VPN server is running 2000 Advanced Server also. I'll try dowlloading the Cisco client though and see if it gives me more flexibility.

6. RexTheMacFan thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to the download page on Version Tracker for Cisco's client and it says that it is IPSec only.