Can't verify disk?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by calebjohnston, May 9, 2006.

1. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

My HD is making alot of noises and Apple "doesn't see a problem", so I just went to verify the disk anyway to see what came up and it won't even let me verify the disk?

Attached Files:

2. Mernak macrumors 6502

you need to boot from the install cd then run disk utility from there, or use an external HD with Mac installed. resoning for this is that the hard drive cant fix itself (or something like that), all you can do is verify/repair permissions.

3. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Even to verify? I've always been able to verify the disk from disk utility without booting from the CD.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Any Mac with Tiger installed should be able to verify the start up disk. :)

5. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Yeah... that's what I thought. Could that be a sign of the HD failing? As much of a pain as that is, I'd rather it happen sooner than later.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Possibly. I'd try verifying (and maybe repairing) from the OSX discs all the same though.

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

A friendly, standard reminder:
    Back up, if you've not already done so, just in case.

8. Mernak macrumors 6502

is that feature new in 10.4? cuz i have 10.3.9 and i cant do that

EDIT: ok i can verify disk on iMac G5 running tiger, but it says to insert disk if i want to repair

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, Tiger allows you to verify the disk but not repair it and yes it's a new feature. :)

10. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Gracias to madjew and xsedrinam. I'll boot from the disks in the morning and do my whole backing-shizzit-up thing, as well.

11. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Booted from the CD's, and did repair for the disk and permissions. It said the disk was fine, and did some garbledook for permissions like normal. I still can't verify the disk, and it's still making the same sounds.

I just took it into an Apple store, but they told me the sound were normal. I'm not dumb, I know what a HD sounds like. It's not normal.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well be deligent about making backups

my old G3 imac had a HD that made odd noises right from the start, definitely not a normal sound and like nothing I ever heard from any other computer's HD....I figured it was about to die....I used it for five years until I bought my G5 iMac and the HD never did die, although it made those strange sounds off and on right up until I stopped using it

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What OS version is the drive and what OS version is the OSX disc? If the disc is pre-10.4.2 then I'd try running fsck.

Also, repair your permissions from the boot up drive again. The OSX disc will have set incorrect or out-of-date permissions. It's not a huge issue, but should probably be done all the same. :)

14. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Done both. Ran fsck before trying with the disk and after. All of them came up clean, oddly enough (after actually fixing it two times almost immediately after buying it).

Same with permissions, blahblah. Guess I just have to continue backing everything up and wait and see what happens. The noise is really getting on my nerves. Haven't had great luck with Apple since I switched.