Can't Visit Mac OS X 10.4.8 from Windows (Vista)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by EricChunky, Jan 22, 2007.

1. EricChunky macrumors regular

Mac IP: 192.168.1.20 (Window Sharing Enabled; Account Enabled (Eric);)

Windows IP: 192.168.1.21 (Machine Name: Eric-Vista)

in windows, type: //192.168.1.20 (in run), the log-on window comes out, asking for user name password. Type in Eric as username and the pw.

Then the user name field has been automatically reformatted to Eric-Vista\Eric

any ideas how can I log on succesffully ? ( i guess there's some way to avoid this auto reformatting username thingy or does it matter anyway)

thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wait, I might be really dense at the moment and just missing the obvious, but I don't understand what you're trying to do.

Are these two separate computers, or is Vista running inside OS X in Parallels?

Are you trying to log into the OS X machine as a user, or are you just trying to access a file share on it?

3. EricChunky thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry

I have a router, a Mac and a PC (Windows Vista)

All i want to do, is access the my newest latest iMac's files and printer, from that lowly IBM ThinkPad.

btw, tried smb://192.168.1.21 from my Mac (.20), no luck to got in as well ... however, when the lowly ThinkPad had its WinXP, this way works (win-->mac didn't).

Thx

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try opening the directory access utility in the utilities folder, going to the Samba section, and setting the Workgroup of the Mac to match the PCs. Then you should just be able to see it in the network neighborhood.

Also make sure that the file sharing / Samba ports are open on both computers. My guess is that the Vista firewall is not properly configured.

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

you might try to have the same user name on both machines....not sure if it would work, but it might be worth a try

6. EricChunky thread starter macrumors regular

They are both "Workgroup"...

what port number is it? the samba port u refered to?

7. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Don't worry about same workgroup or user name, that shouldn't matter.

The easiest connection method IMO is to access the PC from the Mac.

From desktop/Finder:
    Apple-K (or choose Go->Connect to Server)

In the Connect to Server window, type:
    smb://[computer name]/[shared folder]
    (ignore the brackets, just type the info as designated where it goes, slashes and colons do count)

Don't worry about typing in the workgroup name, all you need is the computer's network name and the name of the shared drive or folder.

IE here where I work, my G5 Mac running 10.48 connects to 2 XP Home computers. My Mac isn't on the same workgroup (which is "MSHOME") nor is my user account the same, but my Mac will connect to the Windows computers.

Here I use smb://dell/desktop (for instance)

The other way around - I don't bother with because I don't need to access the Mac from the XP computers, only the other way around.

Try that above...it should work for you. You don't use the IP address, same workgroup, or same username. Just type in smb://computer name/share and it should connect for you. At the authentication window just hit enter (or click OK), I don't worry about typing in usernames or passwords here at my job and it connects fine.

Hope this helps :)

8. EricChunky thread starter macrumors regular

yes i do hav identical user names... werid...

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry, I'm not that familiar with Vista...but it really permits Samba connections without having to open a firewall port?

10. EricChunky thread starter macrumors regular

I think it's not a connection problem, coz i've already got the log-in prompt... if i can't connect to that port i won't get it right ?

doesn't matter, thx for the help i'll try apple's support forum later... cheers.