Cant watch youtube on iphone. "this video format is not supported"

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gt40x4, Apr 14, 2010.

1. macrumors member

gt40x4

Hello everyone,
    I have a question to ask all of you, when i want to watch youtube using the iphone app over 3g it says "This video format is noe supported", any ideas... anybody? It does this on every single video i have tried, it works on wifi but not 3g. :( So if you guys have any clues on why i cannot watch youtube on my iphone 3gs please let me know because this is VERY fustrating!

Thanks!

2. macrumors member

nfrs2000

Is your phone jailbroken? Has it always done this?

3. macrumors regular

Can you post a link to one of the videos. Could be easier to troubleshoot if it's just your phone or a system thing.

4. macrumors member

I've had that happen on my 3G iPhone as well. I don't necessarily know what the cause is per se but usually I'll quit the YouTube app and then run it again and when I choose the same video it plays. I know it doesn't answer your question on why but this could be a workaround.

5. thread starter macrumors member

gt40x4

no its never been jail broken, and im not sure if it is youtube mobile or my phone. If this doesnt fix its self soon ima switch to the htc hd2!

6. macrumors 604

anjinha

That has nothing to do with the iPhone. When people post videos to YouTube they have to allow it to be viewed on mobile devices. If they don't you'll get that message.

7. macrumors 6502a

It's the person who uploaded the videos fault, has nothing to do with phones.

8. macrumors P6

-aggie-

Everyone making assertions that you get this message because it has not been made compatible for playing on the iPhone are not exactly right. You can also get that message if there was a loss of signal or something similar while downloading the video. On those cases, rerunning the video usually works after a few tries.

9. macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Also, if the video has been recently uploaded, and the mobile version hasn't been processed yet, you'll get that message.