Can't Write HTML in OSX? What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mojo67821, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Mojo67821 macrumors regular

I am having the strangest problem. I've been using a MBP 15 for almost a year now. I do some freelance web design and I write my html myself with only a little help from photoshop.

When I used to use Windows, I would write it in notepad and save it as an .html file. Since switching to my MBP, I used Bootcamp and continued to do all of my design in windows because I had Photoshop for Windows.

Now I want to do the designing in OSX, but I'm having a really strange problem. I'm writing html in text edit, saving as a .html file, and when I open it in a browser it just shows me txt. I can download a working html file from my server online, open it and resave it in OSX, and suddenly the same thing happens.

It seems to do the same thing in both Firefox and Safari.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? And what program I should use to write my html?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If you want to use TextEdit for html, you need to change from rich to plain text in TextEdit preferences...

A better idea might be to download TextWrangler, and use that as your (plain) text editor.

Also, check out the Web design and development forum for more help. :)

3. Mojo67821 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I figured it was something small like this that I was missing. This has caused me quite the headache. Thanks again!

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I would suggest looking at SubEthaEdit...it is an amazing text editor for web coding. lots af very cool/important features.

www.codingmonkeys.de