Cantenna and Airport Express signal boost cheaply

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by R47, Nov 22, 2005.

1. R47 macrumors newbie

I have a wireless connection from my neighbors (they let me) and I am trying to boost the signal cheaply. They are running PC's and I am trying to connect one G4 ibook and two G4 Powerbooks (15 in). I want to use something like a cantenna to boost the signal at my house and an airport express or extreme, they don't want anything added at their house, but I can do almost anything thats cheap.

Any Help, Suggestions, I saw that you could add a cantenna to the router, but that won't work since it's at their house

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Depending on the brand of your neighbour's router, you may be able to purchase a network extending router (although it's strictly not a router). For example, if they use AirPort (highly unlikely) then you could use another AirPort to piggyback onto their network using WDS to extend the range. :)

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

You can have wireless base station in your house duplicating the signal from their router, which would, in effect be equivalent to having the router in your house. Now, ifyou can't pick up the signal from your house, and they won't let you touch their router, you're pretty much done. Otherwise, you can make a minimally invasive parabolic antenna as outlined at http://www.freeantennas.com/ which can be installed on their router and be removed easily if they have any gripes. :)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The problem is that there isn't one single standard for wireless rebroadcasting so we must know what brand the original router is to determine what type of router or bridge or whatever must be bought. :)