Capital Z problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spuddy, Sep 18, 2005.

1. spuddy macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. My girlfriend just got a new iBook with Tiger 10.4 and its all running great except for one thing - i am unable to type capital Z's using the shift key. Pressing shift + z just results in a 'ding' from the computer. This applies for any program and if i want a capital z i have to use the capslock key, which is very annoying. Can anyone help me out?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You should be able to get a Z by pressing shift. Does shift work with other letters? OSX usually dings when that key combination isn't available.

Only thing I can think of is to check under System Preferences, Keyboard and Mouse, Keyboard Shortcuts to check that nothing has inadvertently used that combination as a shortcut which might take precedence over the usual Shift z result and if not available create a ding.

Otherwise, if it's a new iBook, give Applecare a ring and let them talk through a few options in case you have a faulty keyboard.

3. spuddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply Applespider. Shift works for all other letters except Z. There's nothing under Keyboard Shortcuts that seems to be using shift+z.

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Maybe try going to the Speech system preference and check for some reason the Listening Key isn't shift-z.

5. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Is your shift key working, can you shift A to get a capital A say in Word

6. mpw Guest

Just a thought but is there anything physical wrong with the keyboard two things to try;
    1) Watch really carefully to see if the command/Apple key moves with the z as they're right next to each other.
    2) Paste some text then hit z. Does the pasted text disappear as if the command and z have been pressed together?

Almost certain neither of these will help but it's all I can think of.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Definitely sounds like you need to call AppleCare on this one. Hopefully they can solve it for you over the phone.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. spuddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok guys thanks for your help:

Wes; the Speech shortcut key was Esc.
    Simie; every other capital letter works except Z.
    MPW; that was a good thought but it seems to be working ok hardwarewise.
    MacDAWG; that seems to be the last solution.

I'll let you all know how i go.