Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spuddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Hey everyone. My girlfriend just got a new iBook with Tiger 10.4 and its all running great except for one thing - i am unable to type capital Z's using the shift key. Pressing shift + z just results in a 'ding' from the computer. This applies for any program and if i want a capital z i have to use the capslock key, which is very annoying. Can anyone help me out?

Applespider

macrumors G4
You should be able to get a Z by pressing shift. Does shift work with other letters? OSX usually dings when that key combination isn't available.

Only thing I can think of is to check under System Preferences, Keyboard and Mouse, Keyboard Shortcuts to check that nothing has inadvertently used that combination as a shortcut which might take precedence over the usual Shift z result and if not available create a ding.

Otherwise, if it's a new iBook, give Applecare a ring and let them talk through a few options in case you have a faulty keyboard.

spuddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Applespider said:
You should be able to get a Z by pressing shift. Does shift work with other letters? OSX usually dings when that key combination isn't available.

Only thing I can think of is to check under System Preferences, Keyboard and Mouse, Keyboard Shortcuts to check that nothing has inadvertently used that combination as a shortcut which might take precedence over the usual Shift z result and if not available create a ding.

Otherwise, if it's a new iBook, give Applecare a ring and let them talk through a few options in case you have a faulty keyboard.

Thanks for your reply Applespider. Shift works for all other letters except Z. There's nothing under Keyboard Shortcuts that seems to be using shift+z.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
spuddy said:
Thanks for your reply Applespider. Shift works for all other letters except Z. There's nothing under Keyboard Shortcuts that seems to be using shift+z.

Maybe try going to the Speech system preference and check for some reason the Listening Key isn't shift-z.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Just a thought but is there anything physical wrong with the keyboard two things to try;
1) Watch really carefully to see if the command/Apple key moves with the z as they're right next to each other.
2) Paste some text then hit z. Does the pasted text disappear as if the command and z have been pressed together?

Almost certain neither of these will help but it's all I can think of.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Definitely sounds like you need to call AppleCare on this one. Hopefully they can solve it for you over the phone.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

spuddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
Ok guys thanks for your help:

Wes; the Speech shortcut key was Esc.
Simie; every other capital letter works except Z.
MPW; that was a good thought but it seems to be working ok hardwarewise.
MacDAWG; that seems to be the last solution.

I'll let you all know how i go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.