Capitol Hill - how it works

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Aug 24, 2005.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Here's an interesting article from Rolling Stone.

Well worth a full read.

link

There is really to much in this article to quote, you've got to read the whole thing. But here's a few snippets anyway.

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I have a feeling this is not what the Founding Fathers had in mind. And this, ladies and gentleman, is how Democracy died. I'm still amazed people allow this type of thing to happen, let alone support it.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I read that article the other night at work. It was very good, but I think the unnecessary partisan name calling was distracting. Regardless of your political affiliation it's scary that so choke points like those have been allowed to develop in what's supposed to be an open system.

Lethal

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How many people do you think know this how things really work? If this was common knowledge it the guy at Rolling Stone wouldn't have done a big ol' article on it.

Lethal

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Many outside the States have a pretty good idea. Another reason why there is still a sneaking admiration of Bin Laden: it can appear that flying airliners into buildings is sometimes the only way to reach the target. No matter how virtuous the cause, this US system can sink it, no matter how corrupt, this US system can adopt it. Ethics doesn't even come into the equation. The rest of the world looks on in utter disgust.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Another example of American ingenuity...combining the strongest aspects of dictatorships and the Mafia while maintaining the face of a representative democracy.

Is this a great country or what?

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Everyone in Congress is a stand in for some lobbiest breaks down our Govt to its simplist form of how it works today. Is anyone representing the U.S worker? Bill after Bill i would say no way.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Two of the things you don't want to know about: How sausage is made and how bills are crafted. And for the same reasons.

One of the biggest problems is the influence of lobbying organizations that are highly organized and well connected. There are no corresponding well-funded and well-connected citizens interest groups to counter them.

I've heard it said that a Senator must raise something on the order of $10,000 a day, seven days a week, to remain competitive for the next election cycle. No wonder those lobbyists donations (or bribes if you'd rather) are hard to refuse. Would you rather spend all day with the masses trying to squeeze $10K in sub-$200 chunks, or would you rather meet with one guy over a $300 dinner who gives you enough to take the rest of the week off from fundraising?

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

further, i hear that many bills are actually printed onto sausage sheets.

link

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i just mailed a letter from the capital hill post office and met donna brazile about 30minutes ago...

bump in to talking heads all over the place down here... thought this would be a good place to post this, just noticed it.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol.. did you talk to her?

And how's that taxation without representation thing going? ;)

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

said hello... that was about it... i was in a rush, and i'm sure she was busy also

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I was meaning more in regards to specifics. I think it's common, unfortunately, to expect corruption in politics, but I still found the Rolling Stone article eye-opening because it gave specifics that I wasn't aware of. The fact that one committee can effectively kill legislation (or completely rewrite it w/o oversight) is appalling.

Lethal

14. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

I agree, the name calling cheapens the article a bit.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's the problem. We know things aren't right, but no one even looks to see how bad things are. You see the occasional story on this, but what ever changes? The main stream press doesn't cover it because they don't think people care. And unfortunetly, they seem to be right.