Caption query

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by MagicWok, May 25, 2006.

1. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I'm just putting the finishing touches to my graphics portfolio, and I just wondered what tips you could give me for writing my captions for each project?

I plan to keep them short and succinct, but I was just wondering if you would have anything else to say on this matter of captions, and if you could give an example?

Other questions such as should the nature of each caption be bland/descriptive or more light hearted/expressive?

Not sure what works best...

Many thanks!!!

MW

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I thought about providing a caption for each of my pieces, but ultimately decided against it. I think the work itself is enough, in most cases. I've seen other portofolios with the title of the work, when it was done, and what programs were used, so I guess that's a possibility, but have you considered just having the work stand by itself?

3. MagicWok thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well my tutors have asked for captions you see, so I was just wondering what advice I could get here from all these people who seem so enlightened :)

4. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I suppose you could just put a brief outline of what the task was for about.
    I would keep it short and sweet, maybe just the name of the project, or something like that.

::20RGERSC::

5. iGav macrumors G3

You won't go wrong with some kind of permutation of the following.

Project Title: Self-explanatory
    Client: Company/Artist/Band/Self Promotional etc.
    Project Description: Brief paragraph containing relevant information regarding project.

6. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Yeh I think that's a great idea, better than mine anyway!

::20ROGERSC::

7. MagicWok thread starter macrumors 6502a

How about something like this:

Discover
    London Sinfonietta Competition

A poster/flyer encouraging people of all ages to Discover the music and atmosphere of the London Sinfonietta, by interacting with the design and seeing past distraction of the lights.

8. iGav macrumors G3

hahahahaha, sorry I missed your post :p

I would add, that a breakdown of software used, is really necessary... it's not important.

I would also say that you should credit any other person that may have contributed to or assisted your work, example being if you used a photograph that you didn't take, best to credit the photographer, that kind of thing. ;)