Capturing TV on a PB

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Caspa, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Caspa macrumors member

Hey all,

I want to record simpsons episodes onto my PB12 and store them as either mpgs or divx's so I can run them off my windows box. Does anybody know of any good hardware which exists to allow me to input the video from a tv via RCA into the PB at a high res? (Note, i'm in AUS so its gotta be PAL compatible, and either USB or firewire is fine)

Thanks for your help :)
    Anthony

2. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

i wonder when will apple start including a TV tuner in thei systems...;)

3. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: Capturing TV on a PB

Check out the Formac Studio. I don't know if there's a PAL version, but it's worth a try.

http://www.formac.com

4. wire macrumors newbie

elgato eyetv should be fine for you.
    its usb with an external powersupply.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

If you have a digital camcorder you might have a solution.

Some digital camcorders will actually let you pass a signal from a composite input from a VCR or cable box etc. and output it through the firewire port to a computer. I know that at least some of the Sony Digital Camcorders will do this. Even if initially hooking it up with a camcorder doesn't work you may need to set up some options in the camcorder itself. It is actually explained in some user manuals.

6. photohead macrumors member

That is a damn nifty trick I got to try it with mine....do you happen to know which sony cam?

n

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I don't sorry. I know I've seen it done but I don't have a camera of my own to do it with. I have been told that it is a feature a number of digital cameras has but not all of them.

8. Caspa thread starter macrumors member

Yeah unfortunately my cam (panasonic nv15s(?)) doesnt seem support a video in, otherwise i'd be set :( That would have been the far easiest solution... unless someone who owns a panasonic cam knows a hack to make the output an input and make it record it...

And yeah thanks for the formac studio link... i'll have a look at it

9. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

It looks like the formac is just NTSC.

The camcorder recommendation is a good one - camcorders and the formac both use DV format - which you need a firewire connection to carry. There are cheaper solutions which carry the video on USB - but these compress the video too much and the quality suffers. They usually compress as mpeg2 as well, which isn't as good a format.

Since your camcorder doesn't have analogue in, you could check out something like this:

http://www.miglia.com/products/video/director2/index.html

This basically takes in analogue and spits out camcorder DV format over firewire. Pinnacle and some of the other video companies do similar stuff - but this Miglia looks like a quality product (I've got some of their other stuff, and they're great).

The main difference between this and the formac is the Miglia doesn't have a TV tuner, so you have to hook it up to the video output of your VCR.

10. photohead macrumors member

Does anyone know if the svideo on the PB is a out only or is it a in/out signal if so is there a software out there that can record from the svideo signal...might be an ignorant statement?? I'm not sure...

N

11. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Just out.

12. photohead macrumors member

Bummer! Sorry...I tried to think....and also I had some confirmation from my director friend that some sony mini dv cams with let you pas through the signal...he said like the sony dcr-pc9 and 110... he said that you can use imovie to capture the stream.

N

13. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Formac makes 2 models both avaible in NTSC PAL and SECAM. The formac Studio DV and the Formac Studio DV/TV. The formac is the best firewire based converter i've used. The ones sony used to make were good to but they stopped making them. I used a Dazzle Hollywood DV bridge for a while. They were cheap and so is the quality.

Also i think it's most of Sony's higher end cameras that support the passthrough. I've only used it on a PD-150 which usually run about 3grand if i am not mistaken. You could always just record the video onto DV then take it into iMovie like that. I've had to do the a few times when a converter was not avalible in the lab

14. szark macrumors 68030

szark

15. biscool macrumors member

I also have a formac studio/tv (NTSC Version). The quailty is great...