Capturing video from my 360 and recording TV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mac-Jack, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Mac-Jack macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2007
    Hello all. Recently I got an EyeTV Hybrid. I was going to use it to watch and record TV and video from my Xbox 360. I went out to BestBuy awhile ago to buy all the extra cords and cables I needed, and ordered a 9ft and 15ft extension USB cables from

I was originally going to run the 24 ft cable up a wall, across my ceiling and down to my desk. What I found out, or rather was told that USB cable is no good past 16ft. I was wondering if there is a better way to do what I am doing, or if there's a better device which I could exchange for. Also, I connected my original xbox and recorded some gameplay of Gears on the 360 just to see what it was like for a little bit and the picture quality was, well, undesirable.

I have included some pictures to help you understand what I am talking about. Behind the laminate dresser is the coaxial cable line, which I would split three ways (Modem, Capture Device, and TV.) The wood panel box that runs across the ceiling is where I was planning to run the USB cable across to get to my desk. If you follow the ethernet cable that runs out of the router you will be able to see what I am talking about (it runs across the wood panel box, and behind the poster.I use my PowerBook more like a desktop than a laptop so I wouldn't be upset if it were wired.

I have a spare AirPort Extreme laying around, didn't know if this changes anything. Right now I have a Netgear Rangemax 240 wireless router (once again, this might be a solution.)

The audio and video that are coming out of my 360 are yellow, red, and white connectors (composite cables), which I plan to split with a 1 female and 2 male RCA adapter*. The original a/v from the 360 goes into the female end of the adapter, and on the 2 male ends would be my TV, and the Hybrid. I also found when I attached this splitter to my TV, the screen became darker and had less resolution, granted I am not on HD, so when I lose some res, it's not too pretty, is there any way that I can do this without losing any res?

My base questions to you are,

a.) Am I doing this setup wrong (setup as in having the Hybrid sitting near the modem/router on the left of the TV and splitting everything I want to record)?

b.) Is there a better device to do what I want? (capture [not watch] video off of my Xbox 360 at good resolution and record and watch TV programs)

As I said before when I connected my original xbox to the EyeTV just for kicks, the resolution was horrid. And while I was recording I was receiving some heavy lag (around .75 seconds off). The processor on my PB G4 is 1.5 ghz and have 1gig of ram, is this expected?

Also, as you can see in the pics, I do have a TV which I will be using to watch video from my 360, and TV. That is why I have a coaxial splitter, and a yellow, red, and white splitter so I can record the video from the 360 onto the hybrid while playing it on my TV. Since I have 2 seperate coaxial connection for my TV and Hybrid so I can record TV on the Hybrid and watch a different channel on my TV or have it turned off. When I connected the coaxial to my hybrid and watched some TV, the resolution was also pretty bad, I'm guessing my PB is just not powerful enough...

If you have any more questions, or thing I am not being clear on, please let me know.

Thank you very much for your help,

P.S. Sorry I was so redundant, this was compiled from posts on another forum, but didn't get much help there.
  2. Mac-Jack thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2007