Capturing Video???

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wolfgar, Sep 25, 2005.

1. wolfgar macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm very much a newbie, so if the answer to this question is blatantly obvious, please don't laugh. :( ....

So here it is: I'm trying to capture video from my Canon GL2, onto my Macintosh G4 powerbook, via Final Cut Pro. What cable/set-up do I use?! The cords that the camera came with didn't seem to work, so I did some research and thought that FireWire was the way to go. But the firewire outlet on my camera doesn't match the one on my powerbook, so that doesn't seem right... or is it? Please help me people! I'm extremely confused and frustrated. Just want to capture some video.. :confused:

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

You need a 6-pin (computer) to 4-pin (camera) Firewire cable, Sony call it i-Link.

You can get one from any decent electronics store.

3. wolfgar thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I was wondering why the two jacks didn't match up: I guess I need a special cable. Thanks!

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, do you need one or have one? I have an extra I could sell and ship in the am if you do need it.

5. wolfgar thread starter macrumors newbie

Artful Dodger, I do not have one yet. I actually purchased a 4-pin to 4-pin firewire, thinking it would work, but now I have to take it back. So while I'm there, I'll check out the prices---how much would you sell it to me for?

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

$10 US shipped, it's the Apple brand FW 400 and it's 6ft. long.
    Nice cam. by the way :) how do you like it?

7. ammon macrumors regular

I thought I remember our GL2 coming with a FW cable? Maybe I was mistaken...

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Funny thing is that the one I'm using came with my iMac, then I lost it, then bought one only to find the first one later that day :rolleyes: You would think that such a nice unit would come with one.