Car accident today

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, Sep 17, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I was driving my girlfriends car (she was with me) and we were driving through an intersection at about 40mph (speed limit) and then all of a sudden wham goes a car into the side of ours.

This teenager driving some a big dodge pickup went through the stoplight at 30mph. The airbags went off in both of our cars. The car I was driving almost hit a car in the parallel lane.

The teenager broke his arm I think. Me and my girlfriend are thankfully fine. I somehow have a cut of my forehead from my girlfriends cellphone flying out of her hand in the accident. We both of course have some bruises.

The whole side of her car is crushed in which is really scary to look at. The whole front end of the dodge is crushed in too. I'm pretty sure both the cars are totalled.

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Wow, glad you're OK.

Hope that you are not to sore today, and that you don't end up with any long term problems.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Eric, which side of your gf's car got hit? A "T-bone" accident is a very scary thing. It's amazing that you are both unscathed, but you WILL be much more sore today and tomorrow than you were last night. Make sure you both consult a doctor. ;)

Almost afraid to ask...did your nano survive?

4. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

My nano and razr survived. Unfortunally my dell laptop from work also survived. Those brenthaven cases work really well.

We got hit on the passenger side of the car in the middle but to more in the rear door than the front. I was think it is miraculous that no one got seriously injured. Then again we were driving in a 745i which is a very substantial vehicle.

I am extremely sore. My back and arms hurt the most. I have bruises from the seat belt and I have a 1.5" long cut on face. Those airbags work well though. They are really hard though. And all that white crap gets all over you.

5. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

young kids shouldn't have big trucks...they are idiots...i would sue the kid and teach him a leason, get some cash

6. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

what would I sue him for? his insurance will definitely change him since he just totalled a pretty pricey vehicle. He was only 17 years old. He was driving a Dodge Ram 2500 extended cab short bed. One huge car.

Me and that car have a lot of memories together. The first time I met it I couldn't figure out to start it, or how to put in drive. I'll miss it dearly. (haha, I love cars as you all know).

Her car is totalled, but at least everyone is ok. I really hate seeing those incidents where the person that caused the accident walks away fine while the other person dies or is burned. She'll be getting a new car (car shopping :) ).

7. emmawu macrumors 6502

Make sure you get checked out medically. I was in a car accident that I thought just banged me up a bit and two days later found out I had a broken knee cap. I wish I would've been checked out sooner. It just takes longer to recover. Best wishes.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Make sure thier insurance company doesn't shaft you on compensation for your days off for medical attention, etc. Document visits to the dr., physiotherapist, etc. When I had a numbnuts turn left right in front of me, I slammed the brake so hard I pulled all the muscles in my leg and limped for 2 weeks. The insurance co. was ready to settle just for the car damages, but caved when I gave them the evidence and gave me three days pay for my time off and the medical costs.

9. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I'm fine. The EMTs check us out. I am still amazed that all that happened was one broken arm.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

The other thing is that it must be nice knowing your airbags weren't faulty... sad that that is something to be glad for, but it is. I knew someone who flew off a mountainous road, his car slammed into a boulder then ended up wrapped around a tree and still his airbags did not engage. :eek:

11. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

i don't want to be to much of a b**** to the kid. He made his very large mistake and I think that he learned his lesson from his totalled car, broken arm, and extremely jacked up insurance bill. It wasn't my car though- am I still eligible? You should of heard me lecture him. Haha.

His insurance company is going to drop him I swear. $70,000 car, 2 doctor's time off from work, our medical bills, his destroyed car....

12. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Yea, although it doesn't really matter now that the car is destoryed LOL. I know a few people whos airbags have gone off when they were just driving along.

Her car has enough airbags to make the car float in water. Front, side, rear side, front column airbags, knee protection airbags, etc.

Even cooler as so as the airbags deployed the car automatically called 911. It first goes to BMW assist people who then talk to the police. Very good invention if you got in an accident and no one saw it.

13. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

1. Let's hear it: what kind of bmw!

2. I'd be careful about saying anything whatsover about an auto accident. Those pesky insurance adjusters have web access too. This applies especially if your real name matches your moniker (i'm not sure if it does here.)

14. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Hey EJBasile, I am glad to hear that you and your girlfriend are ok after the crash. All I can say is THANK GOODNESS you were not in this vehicle when it happened!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=151314

I think that goes along well with this thread on why vehicles need to be designed with safety in mind.

15. jestershinra macrumors regular

745i, he said :eek:

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

First, the kid won't get dropped unless his insurance company is something stupid like Freeway Insurance or Survival. I was in a bad accident, 17, hit a car, deemed it was 100% the other lady's fault, had Allstate at the time. They hired a team of attorneys to battle for me because she tried to sue despite the fact that she ran a stop sign in front of two motorcycle cops. Long story, even if it were my fault I wouldn't have gotten dropped. Allstate later wanted to raise my premium to twice the price, but that also had to do with the claim we had for the 1994 northridge earthquake and tore our house in half.
    His premium will go up either to something wrongfully high or he'll get a bump that will still sting. If he's dropped, again it'd have to do with the crappy insurance. I can kill a person and my insurance would cover it. I have great insurance and I carry 100/300/100 plus a few extras.

If you were in the car the girl's insurance has something that can help you as well. It's all about liability and you should be taken care of.

Lastly, suing a minor is really stupid and anyone actually suggesting that he sues a minor needs to do some research. The kid won't have to pay. At least my lady waited until my 18th birthday.

17. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

lol, I love it!

18. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

wow this seems old.

Yea it was a 2003 BMW 745i.

We went out the other day and she bought an Audi A6 4.2L- not as nice as the BMW but very very fun to drive.

Yea the poor PC laptop survived, I could have put it out of its misery. I knew I should have bought a crappy case for it. I had an IBM and I loved it, but this new dell is a piece of crap.

19. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Let us know how sore you are 24-36 hours after the wreck. That's when it usually kicks in.

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Reading the date/time of the first post, the accident occurred on September 17th and it has been well over a week... So perhaps our good doctor doesn't feel too bad? :p

21. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

DOH, didn't read the first post date...