Car audio application

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crowdaddy, Aug 9, 2004.

1. crowdaddy macrumors regular

Hello again!

My ipod mini is on its way, thank god! Now I am stocking up on accessories...I am planning on buying a dock and I want a way to use it in the car. Which is the best transmitter? Belkin tunecast, itrip, icarplay?

Any first hand knowledge with any of these products?

2. Bhennies macrumors 6502

any of those methods are not great sound-quality wise. If you want to hook it up line level, you will notice the most benefit for sure.

Check this out:

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=31503

I just ordered the SIK connector, which I'm planning to hook up to a splice from the cigarrete lighter as well as the rear aux in of my head unit. This way, not only will it look flush and clean, but the ipod can charge and play all with one easy dock connection.

Many cars, even on their stock stereos, have an input connector for an optional CD changer- there's a part you can get to convert this input to an auxiliary input.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

3. Stevp1 macrumors regular

I have an iTrip and am happy with it for now. It's nice to be able to toss it into any car and have music without wires. If I ever upgrade my car stereo, I'll get one with an aux input and run it from the dock, for quality. If you travel or use rental cars frequently, go with iTrip.

Of course, that's if you can find an clear freq in your area. It's getting tougher.

4. crowdaddy thread starter macrumors regular

Geez...I don't think my parents would want me tinkering with their car like that! What about the cassette adapters?

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

They sound better than FM and are cheaper.

6. Bhennies macrumors 6502

you can still use the SIK connector...just hook it up to a cassette interface from the 1/8 stereo output on the SIK. That way, it'll charge while you play it, and all you have to do is hook up the single connector to your dock connection.

personally, I'd agree with horrortaxi- the FM modulators are pretty dissapointing I'd have to say- go with cassette. Especially in busy urban areas.

7. crowdaddy thread starter macrumors regular

damnit the car i use most often does not have casette! I am screwed; the FM modulators are looking better and better by the moment