Car Boot Sales !

Discussion in 'Community' started by liketom, Apr 4, 2005.

1. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Sunday being a day of rest and all , i decided to take the mrs along with me to a car boot sale ( hemswell ) , and as soon as i got there i was took back with all the counterfit goods on sale
    pirated DVD's £5 or as the chavette said 5 DVD'd for £20 , Then came the MP3 DVD's 100 chart albums in MP3 format for £10

my jaw dropped at the scale of all this counterfitting goods as i walked round - there was at least 10 stores like this all with the same good's !

how can these people get away with it on this scale ?

one thing i did see was how they get there goods , there was some parcels in a van being unpacked as i walked by - with a postal address and a TNT sticker on it ! so it would seem the main dealer just post the good's to these resellers for sale to public.

What makes it more weird is there is often news in the local papers about trading standerds swooping in on this kinda thing and then bragging about how they stopped like 2 million quids worth of goods getting to the public? errr seems to me like they really do not care cos there back at it again the next week.

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I don't if the counterfit dvd's were from asia, but pirating everythin in asia is everywhere. basically, all the dvd manfucturer as located in asia, and everyone is corrupt. so basically they do their run of DVD's from the orginal master then they do a lower quality run (cheaper cases etc) for themselves. this is SOP over there for dvd's, software, cds, etc. You can see the same in turkey with leather goods.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Trading Standards do what they can but it's difficult to stop permanently.

Apparently, there's a huge software market in Hackney Wick somewhere. I doubt they'd have much, if any, Mac stuff.

It will be interesting to see how pirates respond to the ever-increasing use of product activation technologies.

4. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

there was a DVD with all the Microsoft OS's on for £20 with product keys as well , but thank god no Mac software

i think the only way to stop this is to have a police man at every sunday market and a jail sentance for who ever is caught selling

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

most microsoft OS are pirated using the 'corporate edition' which don't need activation.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I remember when I went to Asia, you could find practically everything for just a few dollars. But the best thing was that in order to compete, the legal stuff was cheap too. Licensed movies for $5 each :D

7. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

The worst thing about this is that most of the money being made is going to organised crime and terrorist organisations.

Its not just some dodgy bloke making a few extra quid to supplement his low income. That money is being used to buy guns, bombs, drug factories, etc.

Most people justify buying conterfeit items by saying they couldn't afford the real version and so the real owner hasn't lost anything. But they are funding serious crime without realising it.

IMO the best way to crack down on it would be to take a zero tolerance position on this and prosecute anyone that is involved and give them tough punishments. That isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

8. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

on the people that sell it i think

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I find it hard to believe that piracy supports terrorism.

You have a source for that, or should I assume your statement is of dubious veracity?

10. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

i have read it somewhere i'm sure - i will look for a link

google result : http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20030314-467.html

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So you're saying that it's the pirated copies of Windows that are funding terrorism? Hmm... Sure you're not being paranoid? ;)

But seriously, that's a pretty scary concept. :eek:

12. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I think running Windows is terrorising enough!

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    It supports organized crime. Where you draw the line between organized crime and terrorists, I don't know. Likewise where is the line between freedom fighters and the above.

14. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Yup, but didn't McDonnalds sponsor the IRA who bombed and killed people in England? i'd call that organised crime and terrorism too.

15. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

and that is changing to where corporate edition will need activation

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Actually, no they didn't. That particular urban myth came about from the acronym IRA 'Individual Retirement Account' that is on US company accounts/payslips. Nothing to do with the republican army.

To be honest, I'd try fining some of the people found in possession of mass produced dodgy DVDs/software. If you knew you were risking a £100 fine when you picked up a £5 DVD, people might be slightly less blase about buying and flaunting it.

17. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

but the reason it even exist is because of greedy ceo's and companies who over charge wayyyyy too much, like i remember reading how it cost like 20 cents to make a dvd but something like 5 dollars to make a vhs cassette but yet a dvd still cost as much if nto more than a vhs, whats up with that?

18. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Oooh S#!^ here we go again.

Profit margin is not an excuse for theft.
    Otherwise, Coca-Cola and perfume makers would be prime targets: a penny worth of materials in an expensive bottle. Van Gogh used $3 worth of paint on Starry Night. There's no end to that argument. The owner of an intellectual property has the right to charge whatever they wish for it. The consumer's choice is to buy it or not buy it - not to steal it.

If you define (studios, artists, reailers, record companies) as greedy and therefore legitimate to steal from, then you invite me to define you as greedy or overpriviledged and nick your car stereo.

19. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

i never said it was ok to steal, dont get it twisted,you're right they can charge whatever they want but they have to suffer the consequences when they exclude people who can not afford to buy the items at the prices they set but still want to listen to the content, and that is a very large number. of people. And you are not invited to "nick" my car stereo, lol. nice try though. :D

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I'm not saying it's you who are advocating it. I am taking issue with the prevailing rationalization: "I think it is too expensive. I want it anyway. Therefore I can steal it". That's the same mentality that puts your car stereo at risk. And it's reinforced every time we repeat the cliches about "why" pirating happens.

I don't agree that supposedly high prices ($24 original DVD vs $10 pirate? Give me a break...) create the demand for pirated material. It's down to consumers wanting something for nothing. And other people (from the counterfeit factories to the guy in the rusty Pinto at the flea market) who want to make a fast buck and don't care if it is illegal.

Nothing excusable for me in either person.

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

this reminds me of one of those times you wish you had a camera, i saw a policeman buy a copy of shrek 2 before it hit the cinima's over here for £4 from a chinese woman :rolleyes:, that would have been too good on film.

22. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

OK, the prices you said are still too high for the pirated dvd's it's more like 5 dollars or less, some people have the mentality that why should they pay more for the same product when they can get it for wayyyy cheaper some where else, let me take you to school, for example why did napster get so big? becuse it was free and easy access. if you still think that price does not affect a consumers buying choice, then how come windows/microsoft own the computer arena market? because it is cheaper, why is apple now in position to gain market share? because the mac mini is wayyyy cheaper and actually competes with the windows pc's pricewise.

23. tobio macrumors regular

tobio

The simple fact is that trading standards have enough on their plate to deal with. There simply are not enough people and not enough hours in the day to go to the markets and close these stalls down. You can rest assured that they do investigate the "big boys", because to raid the leaders of these rings has a much greater impact than arresting a couple of chavs at the sunday market. However if done improperly, without thorough investigation and proper evidence gathering a court case could easily go the wrong way and end up costing a lot of money in the process. If done properly the ring leaders could go to prison.

If trading standards and the police went to all the sunday markets every week and arrested all the people selling pirate dvds and software, it would cost a large amount of resources and would not make the problem go away. you know that, i know that, and trading standards and the police know that.

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The article is dismissive of such a connection.

I'll ask again: does anyone have any proof that piracy supports terrorism?

Of course it supports "organised crime," because the simple nature of the warez distribution chain makes it organised. That doesn't mean the business is tied to the Russian mob or al Qaeda.

25. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Even with these "chavs"? I would think that any "bloke" with a computer and DVD-R could do this.