Car chargers?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Kingsly, Jun 30, 2007.

1. macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I tried my car charger for iPod and, while the iPhone appears to recognize the charger (the battery icon shows a lightning bolt) the iphone battery never seems to fill up.

Shouldn't it work?

Has anyone used the iPhone chargers sold at the Apple store?

2. macrumors 6502

I bought the Griffen iJolt. I had it plugged in for a few hours last nite. It definitely charged my battery.

3. macrumors 68020

Diode

I use the xtreme mac incharge auto charger

Works perfectly

4. macrumors member

I had the same problem with my car charger. The iPhone recognized it and displayed the lightening bolt as though it was charging, but after a 1 hour car ride, the battery was exactly where it started. I'm pretty sure this is from an older DLO cassette adapter, car charger kit. Pretty bummed if I have to buy a new one...

5. macrumors 68020

aricher

My old iPod charger (Belkin) won't work - the iPhone gives me a message saying that the accessory is not made to work with iPhone - bummer.

6. macrumors 68040

I have a couple of those auto lighter adapters with a USB port on the top.

Haven't tried it but it has to work.

Problem is you really need a second cable if you don't want to carry yours around.

I also have a lighter adapter (firewire) for a gen1 iPod.
    But I imagine these are putting out 9V which even though may not burn up the iPhone immediately, would be a very bad idea unless we hear otherwise from apple.

note: USB=5V
    firewire=9V

a three volt difference may work but could brick the iPhone after a while (if there's a spike, etc..)

7. macrumors newbie

I got the Griffin one in the store on Sat as I had no ipod car charger and it's great for $20. :)

8. macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried the Igo charger with the ipod tip for the iphone; does it work or does it just show connected and not charge?

9. macrumors 6502a

I would like to know this too...I have the XtremeMac 12 volt car charger that I bought a year or so ago for my video iPod and it fits the iPhone perfectly but I haven't tried to charge it yet for fear of possibly damaging it. I e-mailed XtremeMac and they say that the circuitry is different between the iPhone and the iPod and they have a different/new charger available specifically for the iPhone...but they also advertise that this new charger works with the iPod as well....seems a bit contradictory to me. Hmmmm.

10. macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

11. macrumors newbie

12. macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I should have it tomorrow.........i will post :)

13. macrumors regular

i got an overpriced Griffen TuneFlex at the Apple store, but I really like it.
    It chargers it, but as of right now the audio playback won't wont cause it wasn't designed for an iPhone (software update!)

This is how it sits:
    [​IMG]

some guy actually pulled up next to me the other day and asked "Is that the iPhone?"
    wuttacreep

14. macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

By the way the monster works great

15. macrumors newbie

Cybergypsy: So the line out does work for sure? And it does charge?