Car for me?(Turning 16 soon)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, Mar 18, 2007.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I will be turning 16 soon(later this year) and I don't know what the best "lifestyle" car is under $20,000. I have been looking at the honda element and it seems to have everything I need, I was just looking for some user end reports. Like wether I would get the LX, EX, or SC. I was also planning on buying a car so I can trick it out and add upgrade without penalty.

So suggestions?

2. iBenzin macrumors member

get a car you can trash and not worry about so much.

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Check out the Honda Fit. It's something that looks like it could last you through college.

4. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I think is looks to much like a minivan? Not sure though, I'll check it out.

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

FYI, a Honda element with an apple sticker on it is the ultimate dork-mobile.

That said, if the element is for you, don't get the SC. It comes with carpet instead of washable floors, one of the element's greatest features.

also, "tricking out and upgrading without penalty" doesn't really work on a new car, as any real modifications void the warranty.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I agree. Though it probably makes me sound like a parent, IMO a 16-year-old driver does not need and probably should not even want a $20,000 car. Something used, reasonably reliable, safe and not too fast. That's the kind of car you need when you're just starting out.

7. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

VW Rabbit. The cheapest car with some cool factor to it.

8. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

A 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham surely fits that category!

Very reliable: These engines last!
    Safe: Push any hippie car out the way when and if you please!
    Not too fast: Goes up to 95 MPH!

:D

Attached Files:

9. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

agreed. i'd suggest getting a civic coupe. it looks very youth-oriented, gets good fuel economy, and it's reasonable fun considering its price.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yaris..cheap and good MPG, plus its not a hybird, so while you can good gas milage your not hurting the planet in other ways.(Check the Prius thread for more info)

Not sure how safe it is, so best not get in a crash ;)

11. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

It's really more of an Element nano™...(it's around a foot shorter than the Civic coupe and about half a foot taller)...the inside is really flexible like the Element too.

12. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

A Ford Fiesta. :) get a 5 door one if you can, good little things.

13. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Find yourself a used VW GTI from the mid 90s. They're fast, great-driving, good-looking, and will be a lot easier to finance than a $20K car.

14. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I'd say get what you're looking at - those Elements are great cars for college kids (rubber floors and a subwoofer, comfy seats), safer than a sedan (although not too safe - they don't have a bar in between the front and rear seats), and are pretty affordable. Get the LX version, though - a 16-year-old doesn't need "EX" anything...

Depending on where you live, make sure you get the 4x4 as well, as resale value of 4x4s here in Colorado is much better than 2x4!

15. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm going to go with some of the other posters and say that a 16-year old doesn't need, and probably shouldn't have a $20,000, or any new car for that matter. It seems like it's really common for 16/17/18 year olds to wreck their (or their parent's) car. Much better to wreck a relatively inexpensive car than a new, expensive one. Besides that, you don't realize how expensive cars are until you have to pay for one. I say get through high school and if possible college, with a cheap car. Wait until you have a good job and can really afford a car to get a new one.

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sorry but a 16 year old boy should not be driving a rabbit for god sake!

I also think you should look used if you want to trick it out. Ask your parents how much they're willing to spend on a new car and what your trick out allowance will be.

I agree but it would seem that if the parents are willing to pay for a new car then there is nothing we're going to say to make him not accept it. If the parents are buying then it's their stupid move. He'll probably F it up anyway, but at least he'll look tricked out while he does it.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree but if not Hyundai's Accent 3 door SE offers a lot of car for $15,000. Yaris is nice also if you dont mind its minivan like styling and no tachometer or lack of gauges and features. The Hyundai is the value leader at the moment in my view. Here's mine:)

Attached Files:

18. shecky Guest

shecky

yeah, because a small, fast sportscar is definitely the smartest choice for a new, 16 year old male driver. make sure you get it in red, too.

good call. :rolleyes:

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Hate to say it, but chances are good that you'll be in an accident as a new driver. Get a cheap car that you're not going to be upset if you wreck.

20. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

You think that because a car is cheap you won't get upset if you wreck it?

I drive a old Ford Fiesta, and while it was cheap, I'd be mortified if I wrecked it, I love my little car:D

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Does it come with white shoes and a comb-over?

22. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

If you're going to blow $20,000 on your first car, least buy a used luxury or sports car. Sure, insurance will be higher, but you get so much more goodies and often, safety features.

Look around. You can get some awesome used Bimmers for about $18K....

(I'm 17. My car cost me $6,000, and I like cars. I wasn't upset to find a good used model I liked. Anyway, you're gunna find it'll get trashed... Friends riding in it and all, scuffing its bumpers, hitting things, driving down crappy roads... So take that other $10,000 and buy a new computer, or food, or music, etc.)

23. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

If I had $20,000 to spend on any car, I'd buy a sweet anus Volkswagen bus... a la

[​IMG]

seriously... pretty much everyone will think you're the man

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That statement makes G5Unit's situation sound rather sad, new car or not. :eek:

If you don't want to look like a dork, don't buy a car that smells new. Just get a beater like everyone else, and maybe people won't think you're a spoiled brat. And please don't "trick out" a new car, especially not a Honda. As someone a few years older than you, I'm going to tell you straight up that a tricked out VW (new-ish model) or Honda Fit would get a good chuckle from me. :p

25. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Err... to each their own.. but the "element" involved in the Honda Element is apparently a new one, known as "buttuglium" My 13-year old likes them, though, because he says they look like something SpongeBob would drive. I think that is a pretty fair assessment... I just differ on the conclusion.