Car + iPod. Cheap?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TheMonarch, Jul 27, 2006.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I forgot how much CDs suck. My car currently has a AM/FM/CD radio, and I really, really want to connect my iPod to it.

I want it to be as cheap as possible for two reasons, 1: Price, 2: Don't want to attract attention to my car.

I'd like a stereo that integrates the iPod's controls in to it, and display song info [Name, artist, etc.] if at all possible.

So what do you people recommend?

2. motherduce macrumors 6502

Go to www.crutchfield.com. Enter your car and they'll show you what fits.

I'm actually about to install an iPod-ready system into my car.

The Pioneer Stereo is pretty nice, and only $139.99.

The Pioneer iPod car-stereo adapter is $49.99.

Installation is free if you do it yourself. If you need someone else to do it, I recommend purchasing through Circuit City or Best Buy, because they often have free installation deals...though they still get you on other little fees.

3. Viking Quest macrumors member

really?

4. motherduce macrumors 6502

Yeah, Crutchfield will send you all the car kits and adapters for free, which is a $30-$50 value, when you purchase it through them. If you want to do it through CC or somewhere, you'll have to buy all the adapter kits, etc.

5. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Hopefully someone can clarify something for me, and for OP as it would give him another option entirely... In my old Jeep I basically listen to Sirius or my iPod (through an FM transmitter for both). I have a Cavalier that I have set-up with RCA inputs into the deck for both the Sirius and iPod so the sound quality is much better and is always clear... In my jeep I really have no need, nor do I want to install a deck with aux-ins or anything like that because the top is usually off and I rarely have doors on it (theft is easy).
    I would love to just buy an amp, screw it into my jeep and then run rca inputs into the amp from the iPod and/or Sirius receiver. Is this possible? Is there a way to run rca inputs directly into an amp (or something else) without using a head unit to control it all? Ihave heard yes, no and i'm not sure from best buy/future shop installers so I really don't know.
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but this could be another option to install the iPod in your car AND you wouldn't have to worry about a deck with the artist display etc because you could just use the actual iPod itself

6. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Right now, I'm really leaning towards the Panasonic CQ-C5303U [$124 at Amazon]

[​IMG]

But I still have to fork over $40-50 for the iPod connection kit :(

7. motherduce macrumors 6502

That is a pretty sweet deck. I'll have to check it out. Don't think it will fit my car though. It didn't show up on CC or Crutchfield as a fit.

8. todd2000 macrumors 68000

9. todd2000 macrumors 68000

It will fit, that is a Single-Din Head unit, which will fit in any car. Car stereos come in 1, 1.5, and 2 din sizes, which measures the height, they are all the same width. So if you stock Head Unit is 1.5, or 2 din there will be a little cubby hole underneath the new head unit where you can put stuff.