Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
As I've said, it depends on the investment. I've got a couple, and I've had a few in the past.

A couple? Why not a couple of hundred? I figured with your propensity for finding such accounts you should be rolling in them now.

I'll only come out further ahead, most likely. As I've said several times, if the method by which you paid for the car potentially worries you if sh*t hits the fan, you should never have bought the car to begin with.

Never say never. I know several very smart people that made investments with similar pretense. Now they're quite squeezed financially. So while your investments may have paid off previously unless you are true genius the risk may catch up with you at some point and bite very hard. Now, I'm not saying that one must never risk or invest. And perhaps when I have major extra cash laying around I'll do the same. But it's rather unlikely to be something super risky.

Perhaps you should get an annual credit report and double check that your account status is "all agreed" across the board. It's something I'd advise everyone to do once a year. ;)

I've actually pulled a mortgage on a place near Boston while supporting myself, paying school loans and sharing expenses with no one, all on a mighty salary of $30K/year a few years back. And with all that I actually managed to save enough cash to buy a newer car. So you will excuse me if I forgo your advice altogether.

Look dude, I'm not going to argue with you, it's a waste of my time. I've bought and sold many cars, had several loans, and more than a few investments. I've also sold a house and flipped it for six figures in less than two years. So far I've yet to lose on borrowing money and concurrently investing six times now I believe, and thus far I have yet to come out behind and even if I came out behind the next 3-4 times, I'd still be ahead. What I do and the knowledge I have has been working for me, and working exceedingly well over the last 9 years. If what you are doing works for you, congratulations. I couldn't care less what you do. :)

That's fine. My investments so far have been on a much smaller scale and they were into specific things rather than financial institutions. I suppose it's just a matter of approach and risk assessment. But I'm sure we'll meet here again.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
What I meant was that we'll meet again to discuss something else. I'm sure you do realize that there maybe more than one topic for discussion in this section.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
If you have a business, for example, you can deduct the full cost of the lease and so it makes sense from the tax perspective.

renting a car long term is never makes financial sense unless one has a business to write off the expenses.

Car lease advice? Here's some advice: unless you are a business and can write it off, don't.

This, I leased my Tiguan only because it is way more convenient for tax reasons. It is really much more expensive than buying it (even on credit), but at the long term, I save money because the way the "mexican IRS" treats vehicle buying and leasing is different.

2b1ask1

Suspended
Jul 5, 2016
This, I leased my Tiguan only because it is way more convenient for tax reasons. It is really much more expensive than buying it (even on credit), but at the long term, I save money because the way the "mexican IRS" treats vehicle buying and leasing is different.
If the residual vale of a new car is more than 55% AND you can get a monthly pay of between .5% and .8% of MSRP, leasing is ALWAYS cheaper than financing a car...

Read more about it here.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
If the residual vale of a new car is more than 55% AND you can get a monthly pay of between .5% and .8% of MSRP, leasing is ALWAYS cheaper than financing a car...

Read more about it here.

Big if.

I believe you, IF you can get those conditions, it would be cheaper. However, in my world, I get more like a 2.8% MSRP monthly payment, so as I said, it is more expensive. Now, I could get a cheaper deal buying the car AND give that 2.8% to the IRS, or spend ONLY that amount in leasing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.