Car Model Names

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ok, driving into work the other day I saw an obviously imported Toyota mini-van. It had Diplomatic plates (get a lot of that in DC) and it was definitely not something that would make it in the American market.

http://www.nbt-brunei.com/cars/picnic/

Why would you name a car 'Picnic'? :rolleyes:

The word is originally French - pique-nique.....

Anyone else have any silly car names?

Oh, one other, the Chevy Nova wasn't sold in Mexico under that name. No va in Spanish means 'won't go' ;)

D

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Ummm Honda Element? What's next the Toyota Isotope? ;)

Hyundai Tiburon is a bit off too [means shark in spanish]

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I own an Element! I don't think its a bad name, and quite appropriate for the car itself.

D

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Man if that is not the epitome of my life....I was on a metro bus going downtown one time and it was SRO and jokingly i said to my friend 'if i was narcoleptic, i could take a nap right now'. Not very funny but something u could atleast smile at. And at the next bus stop the driver turns around and looks at me and says, "my wife is narcoleptic", and then turns back around.

:p

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Many Japanese vehicles have unusual names. For years, most of Toyota's car's names have meant Crown in some language.

I still like the story where Pontiac couldn't sell their big car in Québec until they changed the name to Parisienne and then, it was the best selling car in the province. :rolleyes:

Chevrolet used to have the Citation. Surely, someone could have made the Moving Violation.

European vehicles sometimes have practical names like Maserati's Quattoporte--4 door. :D

6. iGav macrumors G3

Not as bad as the

VW Sharan (very close to Sharon, a name with a bit of a rep here in the UK) ;) :p :p

Or how about the Mitsubishi Charisma! :rolleyes:

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Toyota Matrix :D

I feel it's very fitting, considering it's definitiondefinition. ;)

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I like the name Intrepid for the Dodge, which means "Fearless". It's a good strong name.

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Mitsubishi Starion

True: The Japanese gentleman who was branding for the U.S. was trying to say Stallion, but his accent interfered.

As for the Element. I think that from the "Ok, we built it, what the He** do we call that?!? I mean a car you can hose out the inside?" Well, I guess since the car can deal with the elements...

What's a Cressida? Camry? Prius?

10. cubist macrumors 68020

When GM first made their electric car, they called it the 'Impact'. Later they just called it the 'EV1'.

Re the Element, Toyota is going to introduce the Scion line into the US shortly. They are the same kind of small-engine, big-body vehicle; this kind of vehicle is apparently very popular in Japan, where gasoline is very expensive and large-engine cars are specially taxed.

The Element is very popular here (maybe people DO care about how much gas costs?) and so I'd expect the Scions to do well too.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Ford Probe. I'm not sure I want to go there....

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Heyyyy...I have a Probe! Actually, it got its name from Ford's future technology concept cars, which were named "Probe I, Probe II, etc" as technology probes into future designs. It was going to be the replacement for the Mustang, but people rebelled over a FWD 4 cyl Mustang, so they made the car into its own entity and didn't have a name for it so just used the Probe name. I know, it can be taken the wrong way, but if anyone compares my car to...that...I'll "accidentally" run them over and then "accidentally back over them a few times! :p

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

No offense man, I was just saying....:D

14. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

15. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Dodge Ram

Wicked sense of humor - and it sells!

A Dodge Ram on an Excursion Impacts a Suburban residence because the Pilot was in the act of being Probed by a Hummer administered by a Naked Mercedes.

Yeah, sorry Mods, I know it's close. It's up to you.

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: Car Model Names

Actually it was always sold in Mexico under that name. ;)

snopes.com

Lethal

17. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Car Model Names

Cool, thanks - I knew the story but not the details ;)

D :D

18. ump3 macrumors member

ump3

Daihatsu Naked! lol

it looks like its missing some panels or something, maybe 'in the trade' panels are known as clothes?! </tenuous link>

Why Citroen decided to name their new model a C5 is beyond me, I can still remember those grey hoover like bike things that came out in the 80's that were gonna revolutionize travel. A bit like the 'Segway'. I'd like to have a go of one now I think about it.

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Car Model Names

Just look in the dictionary under Picnic. The second definition in Sherlock explains it. To say something is a Picnic can mean that it is an easy task or an enjoyable experience.

Also I agree the Honda Element is a very appropriate name since it's designed to withstand the Elements inside and out.

My favorite is the Ford Aspire. What's it aspiring to be? A real car?

20. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

22. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    actually, they're already avail. in california. i really like the bread-delivery van looking one...went to check it out at the toyota dealer and it's pretty cool. unfortunately, they've over-priced them( they're built on an echo frame for criminie's sake...). the retail price was 20k even though they advertise them for 14k. they spiff them up with stupid add-ons such as neon interior light kits and neon accent lights for the cupholders( i kid you not...). pretty stupidly priced when you can get a 4x4 element pretty much loaded out for 17k.

toyota's really gonna have to rethink their pricing structure if they want to successfully sell the line. btw, they're trying to do a saturn "no-haggle" price type dealership. i suspect we'll see the scion's take a drastic price reduction or maybe even disappear after their test-marketing here in cali.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Re: Re: Car Model Names

That's my favorite too... Why the heck would you name a car Aspire. What, you aspire to drive a better car, but can't afford one? :D

24. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    Ford Ka. and when they released the Sport Injection model it bacame the Ka SI which is slang for the toilet in england... quite appropriate mind....