Car neon LED installation

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dead pup, Feb 4, 2006.

1. dead pup macrumors newbie

Okay peeps, thanks for viewing:

I bought these hep nozzle spray LED "cat eyes" by Streetglow. Mmm hmm. When I installed the knock-off generic brand at Autozone for $17 a pair, I installed them as such:

Wire from car battery into car cockpit, car cockpit to shifter knob area
    Wire connects to a switch and then 1 wire grounded under shifter knob area
    Wires run from switch to LEDs on hood

Obviously not using any resistors or fuses was idiotic; my wiring went up in flames, literally.

My question is this: What inline fuse should I use for 14 AWG wire in respect to 12v LED nozzle sprays, and while at it, just for 12v applications in general?

PS: I am going to bridge other LED products off of the same strand of wire that I'm using for the "cat-eyes", so the fuse will need to be able to withstand at least 2 other 12v products.
    These are Streetglows I'm about to install; come on.

Much thanks in advance, less fires in the end.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't want to sound rude or anything. but you might revcieve better results at a car-specific forum rather than a Computer/Mac-centric place such as our lovely MR.

3. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Yes. Being a Mac user is all about style and design.
    I'm not sure adding LEDs to your care will give it more style or better design. :rolleyes:

I do recommend "go-fast-stripes" however. I have some on my iBook cut out from red duct tape and the iBook really screams now. Like as fast as a MacBookPro !!!!!11!!11!

Okay, enough sarcasm :D :D

4. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

5. dead pup thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, but somewhere else on this site someone has a post w/ 50+ posts

all based on car audio installation. Mmm hmm, that's why I figured why not. And no, it's not rude at all; rather valid. ^_^ Here's something computer-related; I'm getting A+ Certified in my high school! I'm a senior and I'll have a big-time respected certification, a certification that enables me to be a highly respected PC tech. You all should really look into this stuff, I love it.

But enough geeking out about the computer for now... I really need the car thing specs. ^_^

6. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Justifying your tech abilities (that nobody here was doubting) will not suddenly turn this community into car-modding chavs. ;)

Oooo. That was mean. :)

Seriously though, if you really need help on the matter at hand I suggest you try google and look for a more adequate forum. Not trying to be rude here, just trying to help. :)

7. dead pup thread starter macrumors newbie

Cease fire

I'm in the community discussion section, where it deems that I can talk about anything, be it politics, religion, etc.

True, this site is founded on computers, this area of macrumors is specified for a wide range of topics, all of which do not necessarily pertain to computers. I'm not trespassing onto this territory unjustified. This area is reserved for babble off-topic to the PC world. I have the right to post a car theme here.

Honestly, I don't want to quarrel. You came to this post with intentions to argue. You're just wasting text space, so please move onto another thread. Not intending to offend, just defending my stance.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

you're a newbie, and you must face the hazing. :D

although you may have sealed your fate with that "I'm a senior and I'll have a big-time respected certification, a certification that enables me to be a highly respected PC tech. You all should really look into this stuff, I love it." comment too. ;) sorta the wrong tree to go barking up, eh?

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

LOL :rolleyes:

You wouldn't be getting such a hard time if you hadn't CLEARLY come to the wrong forum. You have 4 posts here at MacRumors, none of which are anything to do with Mac, and all to do with wrecking a car with lighting.