Car Security

Discussion in 'Community' started by kainjow, Mar 12, 2005.

1. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Hello,

Just a few weeks ago, I bought a brand new 2005 Honda Civic Si (previously owned a '91 Si), and I didn't get the default alarm system installed.

My car doesn't startup unless you use the key that has the computer chip in it, so I think that's a very good way of preventing the actual car from getting stolen, but do normal car alarms really work well? What about those pager systems that page you when someone disturbs your car? I am most likely going to be moving into an area of the city that has a higher rate of crime, so I want to protect my car as well as possible.

What are your thoughts and opinions?

(BTW I have the factory cd player/radio, but I have iPod2car installed, which is valued at $200+)

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Check with your insurance company what they recommend. They're in the best position to know. In my case I've never had a car 'jacked but I have had three windows smashed to get parking change - in and out in 10 seconds. Seriously doubt whether an alarm would have deterred that.

Always wondered what the "pager" type alarms were all about -- "Alert: There are three muscular guys with crowbars messing with your car. You should run right outside and confront them..."

Edit: OK, I don't drive anything as hot as a 2005 Honda... well, OK it's not hot at all... well it's... OK it's a minivan, allright? There, I've said it... there goes any remaining cool quotient I may have had...

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Most folks around here don't lock their cars. In fact, a number of them leave their keys in the car (actually, it's usually a pickup truck). We don't lock our house at night, either. I'm glad I don't live where you do :)

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

First, if a car thief is worth his or her spit, he'll have the car stolen by the time you get out there from the page. basically the only thing the pager does is tell you to turn the alarm off if some moron gets to close to your car. although depending on the alarm system you car could be tracked. either way an alarm is a good investment, because your car insurance drops. so it will pay for itself and them some.

don't be under the illusion that your car is secure because you have a lot of technology. there are a lot of motivated people out there. the alarm will keep most of the people that are amatuers from stealing your car.

one of the best way to get your car from being stolen is a kill switch. the best way to keep your car from being stolen from a real high crime area is to install a gas cut off valve which is better than a kill switch. my past uncle has had his van stolen several times in latin america. he took his stearing wheel inside his house at night even. they have stolen his van 3-5 times and the gas cut off valves always works. he always found his car a half a mile down the road because there is just enough gas in the engine to start the car and let it drive for a while.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Can you explain the "kill switch" and the "gas cutoff valve" thingy a bit more? I'm in the same boat as Kainjow (getting a Hyundai Getz 2005 on Wednesday.....my first car!!!!!!!). I live in a city that isn't the best when it comes to car crimes, and since I live in a Uni residence, we get a lot of crap going on, including thefts.

My plan was to get "The Club" --- you know, that bar attachment that runs across the steering wheel so that its harder for a thief to drive if they tried stealing it? However, I'm thinking that may not do anything. I mean, if it were that easy, there would be NO car thefts....

Oh, and what's an "immobiliser"?? I have one, but I'm not quite sure what it does for me. :eek:

@Kainjow: If you have the keys that have the computer chip in it, you're probably quite well off. I wouldn't worry as much. :)

@DaveL: Well according to Michael Moore, us Canadians don't even need to lock our front doors. Ever. I do it anyway, though, just to be safe. ;)

Hey remember, boring cars are never stolen. I remember when I heard that the brown-coloured Ford Taurus wagon was the least stolen car in the USA. :p

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Car alarms are one of the occasional hazards of getting a good night's sleep in inner London.

There have been many times I've wanted to rush outside at 3am with a baseball bat. Not to apprehend the thief but to thrash the living daylights out of the car...

Think John Cleese & his old mini in Fawlty Towers... except with a deranged woman in a dressing gown... Not a pretty sight.

7. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I guess its kinda like a kill switch

It basically stops petrol (or gas :p) going to the engine

This way if a thief breaks in setting off the alarm and attempts to start the car it won't because the engine won't be able to get fuel to start up

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh yeah, that key thing that Kainjow has in his new Civic IS an immobilizer. You need a key with the correct code in order for a part of the car to work correctly, such as the engine, or transmission, etc. Otherwise the car isn't going anywhere. :)

Sounds like that's taken care of, but I'll still get a "Club" if it prevents people from breaking my window and attempting to steal my new car/baby. :eek:

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Hondas and Toyotas are two of the worst cars to own as far as theft in large cities goes. Chop shops would love to see your car in about 3-4 years.

10. kainjow thread starter Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I guess that key thing is the immobilizer, so that will prevent anyone from stealing the car itself, but I want to prevent anyone from smashing the window and attempting to steal something. My old car got its window smashed in where I'm living now which is a very nice, safe neighborhood. But there's not really anyway to prevent someone from breaking your window...

Maybe I'll just put a sign up on the window that says "Nothing in here, move along" :p

11. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

It is possible

I've seen it advertised in car magazines where the glass breaks but doesn't actually fall off, I think you can either get a special type of glass to do the job or if you have a special material that you stick all over the window to keep it in place

Might be a bit pricey mind you :rolleyes:

12. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

13. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

the thing I like about my car alarm is the keyless entry that comes with it and when I can not remeber exactly where I park I can use the panic button to make the horn go off.

14. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i think my mom needs one of those panic buttons

15. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Perfect car security system.

ED 209

Of course a 209 unit cost millions but OCP have lots of spare parts for decades and you can even bring him along with you.

Tad over zealous though, likes his job a little too much.

16. kainjow thread starter Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Well looking back at this thread, I didn't end up moving into a high crime area of town, luckily. Ended up moving into a much better area, and so far haven't experienced any problems with security! :)