Car stereo advice

Discussion in 'Community' started by buffsldr, Nov 7, 2002.

1. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

I am in the market for a new car stereo. I am interested in the XM radio thing. It would be nice (but not necessary) to be able to hook my ipod directly to the stereo. I am not a stereo freak. I will most likely not get a subwoofer, or amp, or even new speakers.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

-Thanks

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Most modern CD decks of quality have XM or Sirius. Also most of them have aux. line leve inputs. All that it is needed is a cheap adaptor to go from a subminiture (headphone jack) to stereo RCAs.

3. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I just bought myself a Alpine CDA 7995. I love it.

nuff said

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I have a Kenwood 7019. It's a very good cd receiver that include Sirius and is also an MP3 player. We absolutely love the thing. Burn an MP3 cd and go down the road and listen to hours and hours of music and if you set up yor tags right it will recognise albums, titles, etc.. The color change face is very cool but really we don't play with that feature all that often. It also has a built in Equalizer with about 7 presets that you can customize you your preference.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My wife works for XMSatellite Radio - and I'm not biased in saying you would probably be better off going with XM over Sirius. Sirius is having some issue with their technology, not complete coverage, etc.

We have 2 XM/Sony Plug-n-plays, but the best one out there is the Sky-Fi. Go to best buy and see if for yourself, it is truly amazing and it has the best display out of any Satellite radio out there.

We've tavelled from DC to Florida several times and the radio never dropped once - its truly awesome and I couldn't live without it.

Let me know what you end up doing.

D

6. ninjachild macrumors member

just fuel for the fire,
    i don't really like the XM radio thing so that wasn't a concern,

i would say panasonic, i like all of their products and they have acquired technics some time back,

i think that there CD players for cars are pretty much bulletproof,

i totalled my car and the only thing i could take out that was still not ruined was my CD player,
    gave it to my dad for his truck and still works like a champ,

and its about 8 years old.

thats old in electronics years.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You care to elaborate on this one? Why don't you like it? Have you ever used it for any length of time?

CDs are fine, but unless you're into carrying around tons of CDs or burning your own for the car on a regular basis, its not as practical as XM. They have terabytes of songs, more than you'd ever be able to have in your car. And a significant portion of the stations are commercial free. We've had one for almost a year now and I've probably heard no more than a couple dozen commercials in all that time. If I'm listening to the regular radio in the morning on the way to work, I'd easilly hear that many.

But its not for everyone, and that's fine. I'm just curious why you don't like it.

D

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

What do you need XM for when you can burn 4MP3 cds that will have more music on them then you can listen to in a week driving you car.

ninjachild:

Just to clear something up. Panasonic did not aquire Technics. Technics and Panasonic have always been the same company. It's just that Technics use to be there high line. Also Panasonic is actually owned by Matsu****a.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Why keep burning cds all the time? And what about new songs? And the variety is huge - they have over 20 Terabytes of songs, sure, you're not going to want to listen to it all, but believe me, its great having the option of listening to something different once in a while - that and the comedy channels, books on tape, news, etc.

Go to www.xmradio.com and see the channel selections, then get back to me on that.

D

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I do understand the need for it. I guess I'm just saying that if you have a car MP3 player or an iPod hooked up to your car receiver you don't have as much need for the sattelite radio.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

true, but even with the iPod, ha, I'd be recording songs from the XMRadio to listen to later.....I've heard more new songs (for me) that I absolutely love than I've ever heard at any given time before, even when I was in college or highschool and got stuff from friends.

All I have to say is spend a little time with one and you won't ever want to listen to regular radio again. Its like saying you don't like cable tv and you're going to go back to the regular broadcast stations in your area.

D

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I'm not willing to pay the monthly fee quite yet.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yes, and that's the kicker - but more and more cars are going to be coming off the assembly line with XM ready radios and GM already gives you several months or maybe even a year in some cases of free XM. So you'll be hooked and not blink at the $10 a month fee.

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I thought it was $20.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I love the idea of satellite radio (and t.v.) but I live in Florida where DirecTV doesn't work well during the rainy season.

I've had two Alpine stereos and really like their quality. I really like Nakamichi and had one of theirs, but the price is out of the question for most everyone now.

16. Macette macrumors 6502

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

We have asked Arn to find a way to correct that in the past but as you can see....

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ha, that would be a tough sell, that's for sure.

XM is $9.99/month and Sirius is $12.95/month. XM is totally worth it, I'll be a subscriber for life, I imagine. Several friends who I've convinced to make the 'switch' absolutely love it as well.

D