Car Stereo for iPod

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Glossybear, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Glossybear macrumors member

I would like to get my wife a car stereo for her birthday, one that she can use with her new iPod mini. But it needs to be cheep because I've been unemployed for like 6 months and she controls the purse strings...

Any suggestions on the most cost effective CD head unit with an AUX input (or combo CD/tape deck that can accept a tape-adapter?)

Thanks

2. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

What size would it need to be?

3. Glossybear thread starter macrumors member

Just the standard car-stereo size...

4. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Well for the standard size, you probably aren't going to find both a CD and tape player version but who would want to use a tape adapter anyways...

The prices for a CD player plus aux input is going to start at $110 from what I could see.

Here's the cheapest one I could find on BestBuy.com

I don't really know all that much about car stereo's so I will have to let someone else help you out on the details.

5. Felix_the_Mac macrumors member

Why dont you just get the iPOD FM transmitter?

Tune any old car radio into an FM channel and listen to your iPod!!! Awesome!

Plus you can use it in the house with you HiFi as well.

way cool and cheap!!

6. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

I've had mixed results with FM transmitters. I wouldn't recommend it; I'd say a wired aux input is best.

7. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I'd go to www.crutchfield.com and select your car. It will tell you what fits easiest into it. If the price is too high for those models, you can do a search on the web for that model and find it cheaper. It's much easier to find what fits this way.

8. 27407 macrumors member

Same here, aux input beats FM transmitter on sound quality any day.

9. Glossybear thread starter macrumors member

FM Transmitters are teh suck.
    I've got an iRok and have tried the griffon one and both of them have been next to useless.

I'm amazed no one has made a head-unit with a built-in iPod dock...

10. JamesDPS macrumors regular

Aux input is definitely FAR superior to FM transmitter OR tape adapter. those options are just way too noisy for even an undiscerning ear, and the frequency response is pretty poor, especially for FM.

That being said, you don't actually need a head unit specifically with aux inputs. Anything that can support an external CD changer will work, too, you just need an adapter to convert the audio inputs for the CD changer to normal RCA's (available at installation), then either a stereo-mini to RCA line for the iPod or (i recommend) one of the Belkin auto adapters that powers the ipod and sends audio via a stereo mini (ie. "normal headphone) plug. Although, I rigged my car so that the DC power comes from the floor of the passenger side, and the stereo line goes into the console from underneath, so all I have is an iPod (mounted to the side of the head unit) with a single white line going straight down :D

Of course, something like this: Alpine iPod head unit would be sweet but probably expensive.

Anyway for the head unit I bought this and couldn't be happier (got it for around $160 using a friend's discount -- you should be able to find online somewhere for around $180 or so). For my full review of it click here. It's kind of old now I guess, so shop around you'll find something better, probably.

EDIT: I certainly do NOT mean to endorse any of the stores I linked to for purchase -- just used them for informational purposes. Hunt around and you'll find better deals for all the linked products, which are just personal recommendations based on satisfied use. I don't really know anything about the Alpine unit, but I imagine it's pretty awesome, just wanted to include it as an example of what's available (or coming soon).

11. JamesDPS macrumors regular

BTW i'm having trouble finding more info on that Alpine unit (see post above) -- does anyone know if it's still in preparation? They couldn't have discontinued the project....?

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Spoke with someone at Myer Emco and they say Alpine is saying July. They tell me that it really means September - Alpine seems to deliver late. Still no word on what head units it will work with.

13. medea macrumors 68030

medea