Car Stereo Questions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by adk, May 13, 2006.

1. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Okay, so I just got a new car and the sound system is pretty weak. I don't want to/can't replace the head unit. Does anybody around here have experience with aftermarket speakers but a stock head unit? Do y'all think it's worth the money i'd spend on speakers?

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I think you should replace everything. And make sure you get a head unit with an input for your iPod. Car stereo isn't as pricey as it used to be. But, expect to pay $300 - $500 for something decent.

EDIT: ook I missed that you said "can't" replace head unit...why is that? :)

3. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Alot of cars have some sort of engine function or part of the car computer built into the radio. I know my 9-3 does, if I pull the radio and replace it with something non-stock I lose all of my trip computer functions. I think most "on star" radios are going to encounter this issue or something like it.

Hell, most aftermarket radio's have way too much "pimp" to them anyways.

Ben

4. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

the car in question is a new civic, and the stereo is completely built into the dashboard. It's not a simple pop out head unit like older civics, and it's really spread out. Also, it's a lease and it can't be modified beyond repair.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Some cars like that can actually take standard head units using facia adaptors to make the weird shape fit. If that is the case it would be completely reversible. The new Civic is probably too new for these to be available yet though...

In terms of speakers do you know the maximum size the holes in the door will take?

6. adk thread starter macrumors 68000

adk

I'm not sure of that yet either (just got the car yesterday) But it's either 5 1/4" or 6 1/2"

I think you're right, I'll probably just have to wait for a fit kit. I mean, they managed to make one for the taurus way back when, and this is similar.

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, I'd wait for the kit. But, your stereo will sound vastly better with aftermarket speakers with the stock head unit. Check out Crutchfield. They'll tell you what fits your car.