car stereo w/rca

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zim, May 17, 2004.

1. zim macrumors 65816

zim

Hello,

I am looking for an inexpensive car stereo, hopefully one with auxiliary RCA jacks, for an iPod. I have just begun my search, hoping not to spend any more then 100 dollars.... any suggestions? preferred brands?

Ultimately I am looking for the most inexpensive way to hook up my iPod to my car stereo (actually my wife's stereo, my car has auxiliary RCA and works great!).

Thanks for any comments. :)

2. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

If you are wanting to go inexpensively, have you thought about getting a tape player and using an adapter? Alternatively, if you can find a cheap Kenwood unit that has controls for an external disk changer, you can hook your iPod to it. They make an adapter that turns the port for the changer control cable into RCA inputs. This is what I use in my car, and the sound quality is vastly superior to a tape adapter or a FM transmitter. The adapter is made by Kenwood and sold for around $20. You should be able to pick up a head unit (stereo) for between $100-$200. Be aware if you decide to do this and go the used route, units older than 3 years old won't work with the adapter.

3. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have an aiwa system that i just got that has an aux input on the faceplate, all you need is a headphone to headphone type jack and it works

5. zim thread starter macrumors 65816

zim

Great advice, this gives me a good direction to go in. Both the Aiwa and Pioneer come in under 200 and look nice, Aiwa being the lesser expensive.

I thought about the tape deck option, but think that going with RCA is best.

Most likely I will go Aiwa, time to read some product reviews, thanks for the suggestions!

:)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

just so you know the aiwa is not rca, but its great none-the-less, i like it because i dont have to hook anything up to the back of the system, if you need any other info on the unit feel free to im me or pm me

7. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Thanks for the info, I've been needing something EXACTLY like this for my iPod in my car. I didn't even know that it existed. I called up Kenwood and got the model number of it so if anyone's curious:

Model #: CA-C1AUX @ http://store.kenwoodusa.com/product.asp?sku=2224795

8. kanker macrumors 6502

Why doesn't every car stereo have a line-in on the front? I've been wondering that for years.

9. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

does aiwa still make decks with the aux input on the faceplate? ive had one for about four years and have had to re-soder the connections to the aux jack a number of times because i use it so much. its a great deck, but its time for a new one. . . i guess i could go check out the website :)

10. sketchy macrumors regular

blitzsafe makes audio converters for many car models. I have ajetta (2000) and I have a blitzsafe device that plugs into the back of the dash where the cd changer was. The device masks the cd changer and allows the iPod to play through RCA cables.

easy to install.

dave

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

at least three of thier decks have a line in that i saw when shopping for mine, they were the cheapest at best buy when i found em

12. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

cool. yeah i got mine at best buy. maybe it will be easier just going back instead of trying to fix mine all the time.

13. laowhy macrumors newbie

laowhy

improve sound quality

i just recently bought some auxillary cables to hook up my ipod to my car stereo, but the volume seems to be much lower and there is a loss of bass.. could it be do to the fact that i dont have my ipod hooked up to a car charger?

14. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

You have to turn the volume on the iPod almost all the way up for it to work ok. The same thing would happen if you hooked a CD player or tape player up. As for the bass, try changing the eq setting on the iPod or on your stereo. Plugging the iPod into a charger doesnt really affect how loud it gets.

15. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I use a sony tape adapter in my car. Rather unsightly in my opinion. All cars should have inputs

Harmon Kardon sound system :)

16. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I vote for built in iPod docs. Then there are no cords or chargers to have to string around. Plus we wouldnt have to figure out where to put the iPod. Mine currently resides in my cupholder. Not the best place when someone puts a drink in the holder right next to it! :eek:

17. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

From this article: http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-ijntsrqMWEc/reviews/20031230/ipod_car.html?page=4

Alpine is planning on making an iPod hookup that lets you control the iPod through the car stereo. I don't see this being too hard with the Pioneer and other models, because it hooks up through the CD-changer port on the back. You can never be too sure, but it might be something Pioneer, as well as other companies are planning to do.