Car Talk.

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Xtremehkr, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Since it is such a popular topic, how about an area dedicated to discussing cars? New, old or otherwise, where pictures can be included without the thread being moved to the picture gallery.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Cars don't get talked about particularly much, certainly nothing on the scale that would make MacRumors even contemplate a dedicated forum...IMO.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Perhaps edesignUk knows of several car web forums????

5. iGary Guest

iGary

I think we need a Firewire forum.

I loves me some Firewire. :D

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

or an Apple mouse forum, so we dont have to hears others speak of multi button mice!

7. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I find car discussions are quite common in the community section. It's not for me to decide, though, I believe that other things are discussed here as well, in their own forums.

8. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah. Everyone there seems to take it way too seriously and the threads I've seen have just deteriorated into a mine-is-better-than-yours fest which is lovely since half the time, I'd bet the members don't even have the cars they claim to. :rolleyes:

10. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Good points. I bring it up only because it seems to be a popular topic among those who enjoy the Apple experience, and discuss it quite often. When there is a lack of Apple specific topics to talk about, vehicles seem to come up quite often. There are a million car related sites, but they are often centered on a particular make or model and not just vehicles in general.

I am not suggesting that it become the main focus by any means, I have just noticed that it is another thing that Apple aficionados seem to share a common interest in. iPods and music are another. Games and politics are popular as well.

I've left out quite a few other ideas that I have liked so far, Macrumors Cribs is interesting, but only because this is the one that I chose to make a suggestion about.

The thread is not limited to simply discussion of cars either, I imagine that it would also encompass all the threads that involve car racing. The scope of the forum is not limited to cars alone, but possibly a range of car related topics. Though, it is still just a suggestion.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

IMO the current usage of the Community forums is working well. Witness Mr. Anderson's recent thread about the new Saab convertible. Discussion there is working well, with other thoughts being tossed in.

12. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Which ended up in the pictures thread, which is something I brought up. When discussing cars, pictures are often an integral part of the verbal discussion as aesthetics are fairly important. Though it is an example of how much Apple users appreciate their vehicles, and how a discussion of those vehicles can lead to them ending up in different forums.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

To be honest, if it is not on the homepage, I will probably miss the tread. So threads being moved, but still on the homepage does not matter to me.

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I enjoy reading threads on the NASIOC Forums. Especially that photoshop thread with the, er, plus-sized motorcycle passenger :eek: :D

15. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I'm all for it.

16. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I like the idea as well, but I do usually discuss my vehicles on other sites and Macs here, but it would still be cool to have a dedicated place to talk about them here. :)

17. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Yeah, I go to other places for car talk too...but I like having as many resources as possible, and we have a lot of smart people here and I'm sure a lot of us (like myself) know and care a lot about cars. I guess it won't happen probably since this is a computer forum, not a car forum, but I would like it regardless.

18. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Currently right now we have a many auto threads:

- New honda civic
    - Ford F-150 iPod Connection
    - Ford Explorer that runs 85% ethonal (or whatever) and connecting an iPod to it
    - Horrible 20 car (plus bus and dump truck) pileup in Avon, CT
    -Saab 9-3

Auto thread justification: Connecting iPods in your car

19. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

i like talking about cars on this site because people here are a bit more intelligent than your average car forum regular. In fact, i'm pretty sure i talk more about cars on this site than anything to do with computers. I'm a regular on a mustang site and there are some great people there, but there are also some people who are definitely on a planet that is not the same as my planet. Or rather i wish it were a different planet, cause then mine might stand a chance for survival.....

I'm all for a car section, or maybe cars and transportation, something like that. I don't check this site very often and i'm sure there are some car threads that make it off the homepage before i catch them.

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's not my call, but personally I still don't think just having a few car threads is anywhere near justification for an entire forum devoted to it.

21. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i agree with edesign... i think it would be a slippery slope- we'd need sports forums, etc.

i like the mixed bag approach to the community discussion

22. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Since everyone has been complaining about how many of the community threads have been so stupid, why not have a "Stupid/Pointless" forum.

23. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

We should also have a Spam forum, for pointless posts and a place where a newbie can post to gain avatar status.

This reminds me of the heroine program here in our city where the city gives away free heroine to addicts to help curb crime and lower the loitering of drug crazed addicts roaming our streets.

24. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'll assume you meant heroin... because a heroine is very different. ;)

25. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Wasteland?