Car That Can Park Itself Put on Sale by Toyota

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eyelikeart, Sep 1, 2003.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Now this is very cool! :D

Toyota's been under serious development with the hybrid, now this.

story here

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

now what will women blame it on??

;) j/k

this is cool... perhaps a good first step back into automated cars, that use magnetic sensors in the road... they were pushing for something like this, because it's a good deal more efficient to have a convoy of high-speed trucks in each other's slipstream (less than a foot apart, basically), but it kind of got put by the wayside because of safety concerns. now we see that automated driving, at least in small applications, is street safe.

pnw

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

that is pretty cool, that is the car we will be purchasing when my fiancee finishes school this year, but I don't remember seeing that as an option. Hopefully it won't be lost in the U.S. version.

4. iGav macrumors G3

Lets hope it doesn't go all Westworld... cos then we're in trouble... :eek: :p :p

Question is though, say you're in your car, you set it to park then it damages something... (other car, child etc etc) when it comes down to it, could you be sued if it hit something even though you were... technically not in control of the vehicle at the time?? :confused:

Great tech though... now all we need is for Audi to install something similar in the TT to get me home after a heavy night in the pub... heh-heh!!

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i think it's technically "injure" when it comes to a child... not "damage" :)

and the driver is always responsible for maintaining control of the vehicle, whether it's steering or you. You'd still get in a heap of trouble :)

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Arg, how about this:

The newest invention.

Toilet (toyo)/Mechanical robot/Segway/Wireless Computer/Bar-Refreshment Center/Pharmacy

And *that* attaches to other devices you have to buy like the:
    Oven/Refrigerator/Microwave/Pizza Parlor

Ahhhh, 'Do It Yourself'

7. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

It would be great to have a new Prius, too bad my dad just bought one last year. Oh well, at least he gets about 48 miles a gallon, which is good here (in Phoenix) while gas prices are $2.22 a gallon.

8. iGav macrumors G3

but say it suffers a technical fault, that you are not aware of until you hear the crunch of a child, as you were expecting the car to automatically stop, because that is what you expect the automatic park feature to do... not trash everything around you!?

So say, the childs parents sue you for negligence, if it's a fault with the car, like a design fault could you then sue Toyota?? or could they not sue you, because it wasn't your fault because you weren't driving... and it was a fault of Toyota's design or manufacture??

Lets face it, with car recalls at an all time high, it'll take a bit of faith to use it all of the time... :eek: :p :p

9. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm no lawyer, but I think you'd still get yourself in a hell of a lot of trouble. I mean, you're at the driver's seat. The car's actions are your responsibility... It kinda makes me think of virus spreaders:

Well I sent it to one person, but their computer sent it on...

sure it's not entirely applicable, but you get the idea, right?

10. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

The exec doing the demo "forgot to put on the brake."

One of the reasons I like driving a manual transmission is that it forces me to pay more attention to what I'm doing. I think that technology is starting to put too many layers between drivers and the road, and that driving skills and attentiveness are declining as a result.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

11. iGav macrumors G3

But an automated parking feature isn't really the drivers responsibility when it comes to making it's manevours, it's the computer that tells it how much distance, accelerate, stop etc... if the driver is going to have to keep looking everywhere, with his foot on the break peddle just incase it does go alittle 'Gun-Slinger' on them... then ultimately why bother with automatic parking in the first place??

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of a legal eagle to see where such a system stands... because let's face it, if you set it to park, and there is a design problem that Toyota has missed, then it's hardly the drivers fault if it starts crashing into things.. surely it's the manufacturers fault??

It's kind of similar to BMW's new smart-cruise-control that you can engage and it automatically plays tag with the car in front in any traffic, will accelerate and stop and then accelerate again all on it's own with the driver only having to steer.... what if there's a fault in that?? :eek: :eek: :p

12. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

What worries me is some idiot will be dumb enough to figure out how to break it. Then break it, and sue.

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Wow you can get a Hybrid and self park all in one car. Since my wife is a visiting nurse the self park feature would be very helpful. The only problem is that the car is too small!

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Is there a QuickTime video of this parking trick?