Car Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MrCommunistGen, Oct 17, 2004.

1. MrCommunistGen macrumors regular

MrCommunistGen

I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla (1.8L I4 120hp) and I was wondering what I could do to give it some extra Oomph. I'm already aware of high performance filters and turbo/super- charger kits, but I was wondering... couldn't I just replace the entire engine with something bigger? :confused: I notived that there seems to be quite a bit of extra space under the hood. If this is possible, would the engine have to be another Toyota, or could I possibly put in a different brand... maybe something like a Volvo 2.4L I5 or something... Any suggestions would be appreciated... oh yeah prices too... I have NO idea how much ANY sort of upgrade would cost. I know quite a bit about Macs but not cars. Thanks!

-mcg

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think you might be able to put in a VVTi engine from a 2000 Corolla, but that only gains you 5HP, not really worth the cost.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If you want a Volvo engine it'd be cheaper to buy a whole Volvo. Seriously, we're talking about a Corolla here.

If you want to upgrade a six year-old Toyota engine, you'd better stick to the cheap stuff unless you plan on competitive racing. Otherwise it's not worth the cost involved.

If you want to stick with Toyotas, I'm going to have to suggest you look into the MR2s or Supras for anything worth serious upgrades.

[edit]As for prices, I'd say a new Volvo drivetrain, installed, would be a custom job and cost a minimum of $10,000. A more powerful Toyota engine that would bolt up to your existing transmission would save some money and be a less taxing job involving minimal or no fabrication but would still cost anywhere from $3,000-$6,000 depending on the motor and where you source it from. 'Course the Chapman paradox comes into play at this point too.

IOW, if you wanna go faster, buy a faster car.