carbon copy cloner question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ifjake, Aug 24, 2005.

1. ifjake macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    i love the nice safe feeling it gives me when i use carbon copy cloner (hereby refered to as CCC) to back up all the contents of my hard drive onto my firewire drive. the problem is, my firewire drive is half the size of my hard drive, and i am fast approaching the halfway mark of my hard drive, thereby having more data to back up than space on my firewire drive. my question is this: what is necessary on a drive for Apple's handy dandy migration assistant to recognize that there is User information and data on a drive to be migrated? i have no problem with inserting the tiger install DVD and reformatting my drive and reinstalling the OS in the event of some dissaster, but i want to keep all my personal user stuff/information and applications. any backup advice, tried and true techniques and habits, from anyone?
  2. sakasune macrumors member

Mar 12, 2004
    Migration Assistant will help you import /Applications/, /Library/, and your home directory (including your user Library).
  3. 4D4M macrumors regular

Aug 24, 2005
    Broken Britain
    I tend to use Synk to back up the entire contents of my user home folder onto a firewire drive. This doesn't back up my applications, but I could reinstall all those from CD or internet anyway, so it doesn't matter.