CarbonCopy Cloner not recognizing my WD MyBook HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wmmk, Mar 16, 2007.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

As some of you may have read in other threads, my MBP crashed after I installed 10.4.9 the other night, which scared me to death and to the point that I'd actually spend money on a backup drive. My 160GB Western Digital MyBook came today, which is nice, considering the fact that it was scheduled to arrive on monday. However, when I launch CarbonCopyCloner, I am told that I do not have a locally mounted disk, even though I'm sure I do.

How can I fix this?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

try SuperDuper!
    yeah i know not a solution, but an alternative.

i would try two things. relaunching CCC with the drive unmounted, and then remount it after CCC is launched.

also make sure you have it formated for OS X.

3. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

duh. I hadn't changed it from FAT32 to HFS+ yet. Thanks!

4. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

Update: Everything worked (I think), but the backup drive inherited the icon of the internal drive. How can I make CCC let the external keep the custom icon I've given it? Also, how can I make sure the disks are exactly the same? Maybe I'm paranoid, but having a crash then needing to go through an archive and install really isn't fun. Once I'm sure the backup is good, I'll try 10.4.9 again. I really want to try Aperture now that it supports my camera's RAW files.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If your MyBook has the dual interface (USB/Firewire), reboot your Mac and hold the option key down as it restarts. Choose the MyBook drive and when everything has restarted, run some apps and check you documents. What version of CCC are you using? Mine has no trouble with V3 beta 4 Macbook to MyBook 500G. If you have trouble with CCC in the future, try the CCC support forums.

6. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

I unfortunately got a USB only version. Will I ever even be able to boot from this? If not, that would be a major bummer!:mad:

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Not sure. I think it is possible. You may want to do a forum search like "boot from usb" or something like that. Good luck.

8. Blubbert macrumors 6502

If you have an intel Mac, it should boot from a USB drive without a problem, i think only PPC Mac's were bootable from firewire only. Plus, i would suggest you try SuperDuper! for your backup needs, because it is UB.