CarbonCopyCloner Question.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bentley, Mar 21, 2005.

1. bentley macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2005
    I'm running a PowerBook which obviously has a slow hard drive, so I've got a 7200rpm 120gb firewire drive on the way to me now.

I was thinking of using the Firewire drive as my "docked" boot HD and then the PowerBook one when I need portability.

I was thinking of using CarbonCopyCloner to do this.

Will this work? And will using the firewire drive speed things up for me this way?
  2. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    Yes, CCC will work. It will make an exact copy of your internal drive and make it bootable (select that option). I'm not sure you will find an external FW drive a whole lot faster than the internal drive; FW has some extra overhead to it that the internal drive (EATA) doesn't have. I put a 7200 RPM internal drive in my TiBook (60 GB); works great.
  3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I think the external firewire hd will be slower than your internal one.
  4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I recently did the exact same thing you're describing. Carbon Copy Cloner will work just fine, but like others have said, I don't think you'll find the external drive much faster. I ran XBench on the external and got almost the exact same disk score as when I use the internal (4200 RPM) drive. Anyway, I think you'll still find the external drive useful for backups and/or additional storage.
  5. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    You might want to check out SuperDuper, does the same thing with a slightly clearer interface.
  6. HiRez macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    That app looks great, too bad it can't back up to CDs or DVDs, but maybe they will add that in a future version.
  7. bentley thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2005
    It's probably not worth the hassle booting from it then but I guess it's handy if I ever get problems with my internal drive.

Plus I can free up 20 or so gigs by sticking my music on there

Thanks for the help!