Card reader help...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mike Teezie, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    I have a Zio memory card reader that we use for the digital camera at work. It works on every Mac I have plugged it into, with the mounted drive icon showing up on the desktop.

That is, every Mac excpet for mine.

For whatever reason, the thing completely refuses to respond with my G5.

I googled this thing, and the product info says it needs no drivers or software to work with the mac, and the Apple page has it listed under the supported readers for iPhoto.

ANy ideas why it won't work on my computer?
  2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
    Is there any error messages? What port are you plugging it into? ie the keyboard?
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Plug it into the USB port at the back of the computer. The keyboard ports rarely work for me when using bus-powered USB devices.

I'm sure that's the one that is small and it will probably be inconvenient but at least, try it there.
  4. Mike Teezie thread starter macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    Tried plugging into the back, no dice.

Not getting an error message either. It's like I'm not even plugging it in.

My digital camera's cable will work on any port I plug it into - display, keyboard, front of the G5, back, wherever.

This thing is giving me fits - the pics on it are for a Christmas gift...

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Often times, removable storage readers won't show any obvious signs of being connected unless there's removable media in the device - in your case, a memory card. Are you sure that the reader isn't empty when you're testing it?