CardDAV, Google contacts and iOS4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGiver, Aug 13, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

I have so far set up my Google calendars OTA through the CalDAV option on the iPhone...so I get everything sync.
    Since the iOS4 is out you have now under other account the possibility to set up a CardDAV account which would do the same job as the CalDAV but for contacts.
    Anyone figured out if this works with Gmail? If so how did you do it? I have googled a lot about it and could not find any good answer.
    Thanks

2. macrumors 65816

Darwin

You'd be better off with this method:

http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/

This allows you to setup an Exchange connection with your google account syncing calendars, contacts and your mail.

3. macrumors newbie

4. macrumors 6502

Google have just announced support for syncing iOS contacts with google contacts using CardDAV instead of MS Exchange.

I'm keen to know if this fixes the bug that resizes iPhone contact images when contacts are synced with google via Microsoft exchange. Anyone tried it?

5. macrumors 68020

BrianBaughn

I haven't tried it. The image that Google uses is a small one. Don't know that changing to CardDAV would help. Don't even know if the images are supported at all with CardDAV or if syncing that way might erase the images. It's for sure going to wipe out any custom ringtones you might have set for contacts.

I'm pretty sure backing up your Google contacts via export doesn't include the photos, either.

6. macrumors 604

ZBoater

Google contacts dont have custom fields to store relationships, so when you tell Siri "Mary is my wife" so you can then say "Call my wife" or "Tell my wife I'm running late", if you use Google contacts, that relationship information (wife, friend, father, etc.) cannot be stored.

Not that its a big deal, but, just so you know. One more way Apple sticks it to any non-Apple providers....

7. macrumors 68020

BrianBaughn

Okay...I added the account as CardDAV.

The good thing is the field labels sync up and are editable. Big pictures added to contacts seem to stay big.

The bad thing is if someone has set their own picture on their google account it doesn't come down to the phone like it does with Exchange sync.

8. macrumors 6502

That's weird. Surely google would want to sort that out.

----------

And any luck with custom field names?

9. macrumors 68020

BrianBaughn

Custom field names work on the iPhone. They also sync back to Google on the web interface. Of course, you can't set a custom field there.

Custom field syncs back to Address Book in Snow Leopard. I don't know about Contacts, yet.

If they get the Gmail user photo fixed, and if this doesn't use more battery in some way, it looks to be the way to go.

10. macrumors 6502

Give it a few days and the images shrink back to the annoying google contact image size. Disappointing.

11. macrumors 68020

BrianBaughn

Definitely annoying if you like the big pics. I prefer the small ones, actually.

12. macrumors 6502a

GIZBUG

So let me understand this
    My google contacts should be set up via carddav on my iphone, but email/calendar via exchange?

what is advantage over exchange over setting up via gmail on iphone?

Also,when contacts are setup cardav, does it only sync those contacts under MY CONTACTS? i notice a lot missing.

13. macrumors 6502

Yep.

CardDAV allows customised field names. Eg. instead of "Work", you can make it "Office in New York". CardDAV also allows any number of email addresses and phone numbers. Exchange limits these to three each.

Yes it only syncs My Contacts.

14. macrumors member

Google allows multiple mobile numbers , where apple and iphone doesn't , my only grip with contacts

15. GIZBUG, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012

macrumors 6502a

GIZBUG

Thanks.

I updated 3 contacts tonight at google contacts (on my desktop).......under my contacts. They have not updated on my phone at all. Even turned off the phone, and back on. Not sure why. Any ideas?

16. macrumors 6502

Google contacts images not resized in iOS 7?

Since iOS 7, I have reassigned images to Contacts on my iphone which are all Google Carddav contacts and I think they are staying the same size and not being resized to low res images by google. In the past it has taken days for google to resize them, but maybe it won't happen with iOS 7. Has anyone had any experience with this yet?

Mod: can you switch this to iOS 7 section?