Cardiff, St Davids 2

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by wildoofsmeg, Jun 15, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Hey guys, after looking through the UK iPhone 4 Thread I noticed quite a number of people from the Cardiff are reserving so figured it could be of interest to us all if we arranged a meet up, what do you say?

2. macrumors newbie

3. macrumors newbie

I'll most likely be there, not sure what time yet. Two hour drive so I'll need to work out how early I'm willing to get up lol

4. macrumors 6502a

Count me in guys! I plan on going in early and checking out my carrier store of choice. My phone is reserved, but if I can avoid the queuing, I will do.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Well now that I know there are 10 times more people interested in this thing then I think queueing is probably for the best. I may have to pop in to the store at some point and find out what doors are opening for the centre and when. Unless somebody else has already checked?

6. macrumors member

Hi all :)

I emailled St Davids enquiring about when they'll open and got this reply:

"I'm pretty sure it'll be the same format as the Ipad launch.* We will open the tredegar street entrance at 8am, this is the entrance that is closest to John Lewis.*"

7. macrumors member

spencerlamb

Iphone 4

I have reserved the iphone 4 at my local cardiff apple retail store and was wondering if this means sim free purchase only? i want to take a mothly contract out with vodafone can anyone assist? Will apple be doing this? thanks Spencer.

8. macrumors regular

Hi all I'm in for a meet up. I'll be heading down there about 7am if no queues then it'll be a Mcdonalds for some brekkie. Got one pre ordered and need to pick up one for my brother.

Just spoke with Apple store cardiff who confirmed that the John Lewis end and the Cineworld end will both be open at 8am for the Apple store and the o2 store. He also confirmed that they will be having both Black and White handsets and there will be extra handsets for walk in customers.

9. macrumors regular

You have basically reserved the handset. It is up to you what you want to do with it when you arrive at store. If you want Vodafone just make sure you take two forms of ID. one photo and two forms of proof of address.

10. thread starter macrumors member

I thought the centre opened earlier than 8 for the ipad launch. I don't know for sure as I wasn't there, but I was certain I heard it opened earlier than that.

11. macrumors member

I would think it'd open before 8am too :confused:. Might be in town tomorrow or Tuesday, so if I am I'll ask some staff in St David's. Will let you guys know what they say.

12. macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I am planning on getting there for 8am. What you reckon the queues will be like that early? The guy I spoke to at the store didn't give the impression that they were expectingit to be mega busy at 8am.

13. thread starter macrumors member

Alrighty, went into town today to take a look around and your right, the apple store is currently saying that the centre will open at 8 to which I said was very odd and he agreed. Then he said to call them on wednesday night to find out to see if they have changed anything, which he thinks they will. Also I was right the centre opened early for the iPad.

Also got me a microsim all up and running, yay!

14. macrumors 6502

I'm going to be in Cardiff, what are the chances of me just walking in a picking up a phone?

I haven't reserved anything :eek:

15. macrumors 6502a

Knowing someone from here that has two reservations and that they may only need one? I'd say good ;)

PM me.

16. macrumors 6502a

Opening time for the Apple store is 8am...

Carphone warehouse is opening at 7am.

Orange store is opening at 7am.

Not sure about you guys, but I'll be checking the queues at those stores before I head to the apple store. Only 2 minutes down the road.

17. macrumors 6502

I'm sure I'll manage to get myself out of bed early and go for a walk around town. I like to loiter and see what's what. :D

Only other hurdle I've got is in the form of a £150 gift voucher given to me for my birthday, which apparently I can't use to buy an iphone because it's not an 'iphone gift voucher'! I'm sure there are ways though...:p

18. macrumors newbie

For some reason I'm getting a little nervous that I won't actually get the iPhone 4 on release day even though I have reserved it and even rang the store to check if I was on the list. Anyone else feel the same?

What time are you guys planning in getting there? I've read on some US forums that people are planning on getting to their store for 8pm the night before. That's insane!!

I'll aim to be in Cardiff for about 7 to check other stores and even the queue for the apple store. If nothing is too busy I'll be straight to McDonalds for a breakfast!!

Anyone upgrading their contract for an iPhone 4 instead of taking out a new one?

19. macrumors member

I was told by a member of staff in the O2 shop in St David's that they will be opening at normal time (09:30) as they have less footfall than the Queen Street Shop which will open at 08:02? They did say that they may open early if lots of people are about to get things moving?

20. macrumors member

Abcmsaj

aI'm torn between going to Bristol or going to Cardiff... I just rung Cardiff up and they said the John Lewis entrance will be open, so that's where I'll be queuing... but he didn't have a clue about white iPhone 4s..

So is this 100% genuine? Because the reason I'm driving 60 miles is to pick up 2 white iPhones... and if they don't have white, I'll go with black, but white is obviously what me and my brother realllllly wanted.

I've never done a launch line before... What are the chances of me being near the front of the queue if I join the queue at about 1am?

Also

from an old thread.

21. macrumors regular

100% I do not know. I'm only going from what the apple guy told me on the phone. I phoned again today just to confirm my registration and i dropped the question about White ones and she said yes they will have them. I wouldn't count on it as when I asked to you have stock amounts etc she started mumbling.

The st David's car park will be open for us aswell.

22. macrumors newbie

1am?! Damn. I don't intend on getting there until about 7am!! I don't know about near the front but you DEFINATELY won't be at the end.

23. macrumors member

Abcmsaj

Ok cool... I rang them and the guy told me he had no idea. No worries though, I have faith + hope.. -.- (fingers crossed)

I'm just taking precautions. I'll bring my iPad for reading materials, should manage to stay awake til 7 :)

24. macrumors newbie

That's fair enough. I don't think I have the mental stamina for such a long wait. I just get too bored. The longest I ever did was the X-Box 360 launch for 4 hours. Almost killed me.

25. macrumors member

Abcmsaj

well at the moment I work in Gamestation so I get to do all the midnight launches... fun -.- :p

From July though, I quit Gamestation (sadly :() and get to work in... Carphone. So I'm ready for iPhone 5 ;) haha