Career Advice

Discussion in 'Community' started by stubeeef, Jul 18, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    Many here are aware of my pilot job.

I am considering, hoping for, a local sales rep position selling medical devices.

Is any one here doing that? We have a diverse community, so hoping someone is, or their spouse,.....

I know the hours will be a min of 70/wk but the pay is looking like low 100's in 2-4 yrs.

Decent starting pay, mid 60's, a car, and the ususal things like cell phone and laptop. I will be taking over a 20k pay cut to start, already have company ph and laptop, don't need a car. So it is more the opportunity and some stability I seek. I love sales, and after a day with a local rep that is moving up, I really want it.

Any advice and thoughts are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
  2. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    What kind of medical device will you be selling?

I know a bunch of people in Rx marketing and they all seem to be doing quite well. It seems like you have a pretty good deal, making pretty good money- especially if you stick with the job. The phone and computer- no big deal, but company cars I think are a good thing. Why waste the life of your own car. A friend of mine has to commute 1.5hrs to work everyday- he has a very high position is his company but they "don't give out company cars" so he bought a Passat. Also, be sure you want to work 70hrs a week- Thats a lot.

If its a position you really want then definatly go for it. I work in the medical field and I love it (general surgeon), I work a lot of hours (being on call) but if your doing something you enjoy its not too bad.
  3. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i have a relative that sells office equipment, fully on commission...he could do salary but makes four times more if its purely commission from his company

if you are good, really good, then forget a limiting salary and benefits package (even if it's good), because the sky is the limit for commission only jobs like selling any goods from equipment to liqour, to services

i knew a phone translator who had a choice to work for 35k a year with benefits on the phone from his house, or for 33 to 50 dollars an hour freelance...guess which one he took?

commission only jobs are not heavily advertised but the good salespeople make baseball player money, a million or more, and most of the people in this field, not considered professional for some stupid reason, are only high school graduates

i studied in college for an hr degree and this 40-ish man sat next to me and he wanted an hr degree "just for the fun of it"...but through his life he managed to get a job placing ceo caliber people into companies and taking a commission for his match making day before class, he told me he had a "good day" and he made 40k on one phone call...but of course, it took years of developing relationships with comapnies and workers in order to be in a position to be able to make those matches...think of him as a "jerry mcquire" for corporations being an agent to high level employees seeking companies and vice versa

in the end, very few people have what it takes to have no tether and live off of commission only and spend the first few months to the first few years making little or nothing and many very successful commission only salespeople either lived with their parents or had an understanding/working spouse to cover for the slow times

if you get into your job and they offer 1) salary/benefits/small commission vs. 2) a commission only job with a higher rate of commission, go for the gusto and take the latter and realize that almost all earned wealth comes from delayed gratification and taking the road less traveled
  4. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I work in a completely different field (commercial printing), but I can tell you that sales is one area where the amount of money you can make is in direct proportion to how much energy and time you are willing to invest. We have one guy here who toiled for 60-70 hours a week for maybe three years, just getting by. Ultimately, all that effort paid off and he blossomed "overnight" into a top tier print salesman. Gross sales went from maybe $400,000/year to over $3,500,000 in a matter of about months. FYI - our sales staff averages a 10% yield on gross sales.

Me, I'm not tolerant enough of people to work in sales successfully, but it sounds like something you want to do. Go for it.
  5. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    the position is selling GI endoscopy products, the Company is Wilson Cook Medical .

I have the inside track, the job was offered before but couldn't take the pay cut then, now I can.

I am on a first name basis with the President and all the Vice Presidents of the company, I am a Captain on their Jet. I have worked there 3.7yrs so far. I really like the people a lot. The area is my home town, so this could be a fabulous opportunity for me.
    The hours do not bother me, more work, more pay. Sounds OK. And I really enjoy the casual conversations as well as the technical.
    I have buddies at Phizer and Merck, both say do it, but I wanted some inside device salesman info from someone here as well. And from the Dr's too! Thanks.
  6. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2004
    I can't offer any advice but I am curious as to why you want to quit your flying job to go for a sales job? Yes I know the money's better but I'm assuming it's more than that. Is flying no longer a viable option? Just curious - feel free to ignore it :)
  7. apple2991 macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    I have no basis for this, but I say go for it.
  8. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    How easy is it to get back into flying? Sales is a thankless job, and if you don't succeed, you will be discarded like a 2-year-old Dell. If you're successful, you'll definitely be making big bucks, but if you're not, you better have a backup plan.
  9. atari1356 macrumors 68000

Feb 27, 2004
    I'm curious about this too... are you doing it just for the potential of increased income? Or because you really want to do sales instead of piloting an airplane? Flying an airplane certainly seems a bit more fun and glamorous than selling medical supplies.

If it's because you want to do sales, then go for it.

If it's because you want more money... I say money isn't everything, and that's a lot of hours to work.
  10. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    My wife's an RN, and a couple of her friends are in pharmaceutical sales. Not exactly like medical device sales, but close enough, I suppose. They are both good at it, love it, and make great money doing it.

However, as mentioned, the hours are long, and you need to love sales. On the plus side, you're selling to well-educated people with the money to buy your product... but they (her friends) say that doctors often don't tend to be the most friendly people and are typically harder to "sell" on something than "normal folk".

My worthless opinion: if you like sales, and you believe in the product(s) you'd be selling, I say go for it - you could always get back into flying, but sometimes a career change can be a wonderful thing, and you'd likely regret not trying it out.
  11. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2005
    "Flying an airplane certainly seems a bit more fun and glamorous than selling medical supplies." i totally agree with this... :D
  12. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    the jet I fly was nearly taken back to the home office 3 times before I took the job. If guidant had completed the buyout of our company the jet would have been moved to Indianapolis, where I would be looking at no job, cause they are being bought out by J&J. Corp pilots have little security in buyouts or mergers. We define synergy, at 2 million a year on the budget, they are expensive tools, especially if the aquiring company already has a flight dept.
    There are particulars about our company that make the flight dept more vunerable as the years go by, and don't want to discuss it now, just believe it.
    I am on a tether, 1 hour radius without permission, 365 days a year. Want to plan a weekend trip? Better not end up having to fly. while pop-up trips are rare, they happen. Also, I have 0 scheduled days off for Dr, Dentist, etc. You have to ask for time off, and if things get busy, you cancel the appt.
    I have no opportunity for advancement over the next 5 years, even if the plane stays here.
    I have little to no opportunity at making the money I want to make.
    I have had sales jobs and been successful. I had to go back to flying because I was legislated out of my last self-employed sales job, while expecting our 3 kid.
    The company has an outstanding reputation for great products and quality, as well as price (we are not the cheapest). The managers that I know of, as well as the executives are great people. My wife is apprehensive but very, very supportive.
    This position offers me 2 important things I don't have now. STABILITY and OPPPORTUNITY. I work lots of hours on the side right now, I half own some storage units, and work with the Navy Reserves. So I am used to a long day.
    I am very motived, 3 daughters who will need college, and weddings. And the dream of retirement.
    I love sales, and when people talk to me about flying, I say"It's cause I don't want to dig ditches." I enjoy it most times, despise it others. I am very over it.
  13. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Well, then.

It looks like you've answered your own question.
  14. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    Ignorance is bliss. So I am hoping that someone here can more enlighten me as to the pitfalls, as well as peaks, from a 1st person perspective.
  15. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Well, I can't give you first person, but our neighbor two doors down got a job in medical sales. She was soon driving a Mercedes, and then moved to a nicer neighborhood. Another friend in hospital sales recently completed a renovation of her house that doubled its size.
  16. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    Now that is a nice trend! :p
  17. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I know of Wilson-Cook, I use some of there products at work.

You seem to really like this job oppertunity and it sounds like a good one to me.

I say go for it!

Good Luck.
  18. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    It would help if you have at least a BSc in some Bio or health field. Most sales jobs I see advertised (I do consulting work for a biotech) are insisting on this, or a Masters.
  19. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    Associate of Science, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biology, Physiology, Calculus I & II, Zoology.

Bachelor of Science; Business Administration, UNC-Chapel Hill (almost got a 2nd major in Economics, but didn't want to stay another semester, and they don't give minors).
  20. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    I can see your point, but are you absolutely sure about what you want to do? What about your license. I take it you won't be able to keep it current?

I'm at a set of cross roads myself and as it happens, flying was my chosen path for a very, VERY long time but alas, Murphy had a greater part to play than i expected.
  21. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Good luck whatever course you take beeef
    Starting over is never easy, but if it is something you love, it can be great

All the best to you

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
  22. corywoolf macrumors 65816

Jun 28, 2004

DOOOOO ITTTTTT!!!!! Yeah, it sounds like a great opportunity that could lead to a nice lifestyle, If you ever make too much money (no such thing I know) be sure to send me a nice powerbook!! No, but really, go for the job man.
  23. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    One of 2 big interviews next week. Just had a ph con with regional manager who would have been my boss, if not for an upcoming shuffle of territories. It went very well. My summation? "Let me off my leash!"

Well here I go, down the rabbit hole. :p
  24. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I think you will find sales has no more freedom than your current job. You will find you are always away from home and never can plan Dr. appts, time off, etc. It will start out great, maybe get to work from home, 35hr/week, etc. Then next thing you know you will be spread to thin, 90hr/week, no freetime, no vacation, customers calling you all the time.

I think I would try to find another job as a pilot.
  25. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    I think this job will be atleast 90 hours a week if I do it well.