Career Opportunities

Discussion in 'Community' started by Schiffi, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2003
    I'm currently a freshman going for a 4-year Visual Communication degree at Truman State University. Today I was thinking about possible careers I could get with this degree and I wouldn't mind a few suggestions from the general public here at MacRumors. There has to be some professional artists out there :)

It's never too early to start searching.
  2. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Well if you're lucky, the Design Industry might have recovered by then.... :eek: :p :p

What skills are you going to learn on this 'Visual Communications' course??
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    As iGav mentioned, the question is what do you want to do when you graduate. To have a degree in Visual Communication is almost like saying you have an engineering degree. There are so many things you can do, you'll need to take as many course as you can and find out what you like the best if you don't already know exactly what you want.

Also, start working on getting that portfolio together - its never too early - you'll need to have 'proof' of your talent before you get a job. One other thing, if you can swing it, get a part time job/internship and get work done outside of classwork. Even if you don't get a job that lets you create something, make up your own projects.

Enjoy and good luck!

4. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    spot on on both points.... the portfolio is obviously incredibly important, and by starting to assemble it from the beginning of your course, you'll be in a position to update it, and edit it as you and your skills progress throughout the duration of your course.

And try and nail an internship at a high end design (or whatever industry takes your fancy) agency, even if it's for free, exposure to the workings of top award winning companies really gives you an insight into how things should be done on both a creative and professional level.

The Attik are usually pretty good for internships, if you can get in there early enough! graphic design, motion 3D they do it all!
  5. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    OK, class! Chin up -- good! And posture, and one and repeat after me:

"Would you like fries with that?"

Just kidding! Now I'm all :p and you're all :mad: and :( and I'm all ;) and I hope that makes you all :rolleyes: and :) -- seriously, though: best of luck!
  6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    Think about things that may interest u, or things u may be good at doing. U have a lot of time to get it straight, so u have plenty of time to try out things.

Just remember, sometimes u don't always end up doing what u get your degree don't think it's going to be the "final" decision. ;)
  7. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: Career Opportunities

if you are willing to relocate, new york city and its advertising mecca is a possibility for a related job

or you can consider the film centers of vancouver, hollywood, or toronto

where i live in northern california, the nearest college to me, california state university monterey bay, has a visual communication degree/interdisciplinary degree program which covers just about everything it could fit into its program...and the degree is called telecommunications, multimedia, and applied computing, and i think it is a BA or BS degree...and it has to have the longest title of any accredited program anywhere in the world:p
  8. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Fantastic.... ;) :p :p :p