Careers

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by greatdevourer, Mar 10, 2006.

1. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I'm just about to go to my school careers evening, and I was wondering what other people on here do, what exactly that job includes, and whether you'd recommend it to me?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

isn't there an "official" thread on what everyones job is, and it is a sticky at that

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes indeed there is. As you say it's even a Sticky, so I'm not sure how you can miss it. :rolleyes: :p :cool:

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

remember if you post about something that is in a sticky all the kids will laugh at you

5. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Call me crazy, but I don't know how much use a recommendation on a career would do for you. For example, I know nothing about you and about what you like to do... the career path you choose should be yours and yours alone, not dependant upon what people on a message board recommend that you could do.

What I can recommend is that you try identify not only your strengths but your weaknesses as well. Poor at math? Becoming a math teacher or a physicist probably isn't for you. ;)

6. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Rocket Scientist.
    Chicks dig them.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You're crazy.. crazy correct!

It generally helps to choose a career path in a field that you really enjoy. Because it's a lot more fun getting up to go to work everyday for the next 45 years to pay for your mortgage/kids/alimony/etc when you like your job and your field.

If you hate it.. well that's the American Way.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Don't worry, he'll learn his lesson - it's for his own good after all. :p ;) :D

9. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, you don't want to wake up every morning hating your job but hey it pays well. Find a job that you would love/enjoy.

Bless

11. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Super-hero.

Just find yourself some radioactive waste and you're all set.

:)

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

He won't have to get a job if he finds some he would be getting a different type of salary

Bless

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

14. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

you're sick, sick i tell you

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

16. greatdevourer thread starter macrumors 68000

Damn, here was me expecting some more fine-tuned advice, rather than the usual "I do teaching. The end" that's in that jobs thread (yes, I know that some people do detailed descriptions, but almost all do a sentence or 2). However, I get sh*t worse than you get on UG, a forum run by 12yr olds. I'm doubting the people who told me to look in the other thread have ever seen it, because it's utterly useless for careers advice.

stonyc and yellow, that comment is dumb. Seriously dumb. You tell me to do what I wanna do. The reason why I'm asking for advice is because I'm not sure. If I already knew, then I wouldn't bother :rolleyes:

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Oooooooohhh Kay.

Then I think you should be a fry cook. Or a pickpocket. Or perhaps a bridge painter. Panhandling is an exciting field.

Career fairs are generally to help introduce youngsters to new career paths they might not have thought about.

If you really want people's info, why not just ask for their resumes?

Or better yet, look on job websites like Monster.com and whatnot. It's about the same as asking for advice on here.

Is that less seriously dumb for you?

18. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

You don't know what your strengths and weaknesses are? Good at math? Good at writing? More logical? More artistic?

Look, people's views of certain careers are different depending upon their personality and way of thinking. I may tell you that I am a nuclear physicist and that I smash protons together all day in a giant room-sized proton accelerator, etc, etc, etc. I then go on to say that it is the best job ever, and that you should go into it. That's not necessarily going to be sound advice because you may not like physics or chemistry or whatever.

If you are looking for people to help you pick a career or give career advice without knowing you then we can't help you. If you are looking to find out what duties/background X type of job entails then perhaps we can give insight if you already have an idea about what kinds of jobs you'd consider. A blanket asking what people do and if they'd recommend their job to you is not very useful--again, we don't know you or what you like and are good at. That is why you're getting all the heat. You just need to be more clear as to what your expectations are.

19. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Exactly, flori... it's kind of hard to help you GD when you give us nothing to base the help from. It would be like me making a post in a technical support forum asking "I have a problem with my computer, give me some recommendations on what to do." :rolleyes: